Wyoming Antelope 73 or 32

Ghostrider6

Feb 3, 2014
Missouri
Evening all. A buddy and I are going to put in for an antelope hunt this year in Wyoming. It will be his first antelope hunt. We are going to put in for the special draw and we have 5 points averaged between us. I am looking at either 73 or 32 as my research so far shows that we have good odds at drawing them. Pending further point creep of course. We will base out of Casper. I am asking for thoughts and opinions of these two areas. Those who are familiar with them, would you recommend one over another? How are the herds so far this year? Effects of weather on them and lands? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

GR6

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Evening all. A buddy and I are going to put in for an antelope hunt this year in Wyoming. It will be his first antelope hunt. We are going to put in for the special draw and we have 5 points averaged between us. I am looking at either 73 or 32 as my research so far shows that we have good odds at drawing them. Pending further point creep of course. We will base out of Casper. I am asking for thoughts and opinions of these two areas. Those who are familiar with them, would you recommend one over another? How are the herds so far this year? Effects of weather on them and lands? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

GR6
I would wait another couple months before deciding. Winter is far from done out there and no quotas have been released yet.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hilltop is spot on. In the last couple of years there has been lots of change in some of the units. One I like to hunt had all the type 6 doe/fawn tags tags cancelled after they said there would some for the drawing. I had noticed for several years the amount of antelope had started to decline.

Reactions: Ghostrider6

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Whichever one you can draw...lol

In all seriousness, solid advice has been shared; good luck.

When you come into town after roughing it on the BLM, Fort Caspar campground is a great place to spend a nite, get a hot shower and cleaned up!

Last edited:

robsev

Feb 23, 2011
Gillette, WY
I have hunted 73 for the last 10 years. I would like to give you some good advice, but last year was the worst I have seen for this unit. Numbers and buck quality were way down from previous years. Bad winter last year was not good for the herd in that area.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I have hunted 73 for the last 10 years. I would like to give you some good advice, but last year was the worst I have seen for this unit. Numbers and buck quality were way down from previous years. Bad winter last year was not good for the herd in that area.
That was my impression driving through the unit last year. I hunted the unit years ago and have traveled through it every couple years and last fall was the fewest animals I have seen there.

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
I have hunted 73 since 2016 and I agree with what your saying, I didn't see the amount of animals that I normally see there. I talked to Heather the biologist at a check point and she said they are starting to get the numbers down to where they would like to see it but than winter hit them pretty good from what I understand.

Alpha Male

Feb 28, 2014
New Jersey
i hunted 32 a couple years back and theres lots of public land and even some landowners that will let you hunt but if you go early and scout you can find a big one good luck whatever you decide

Ghostrider6

Feb 3, 2014
Missouri
That is what I was concerned about.

I have read the same on several different forums.

Thanks for the information.

Ghostrider6

Feb 3, 2014
Missouri
I really appreciate everyone's comments. After reading some more information here, TagHub, and elsewhere, how is it looking for areas 69, 71, and 72?