How much is too much?

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Wait since this is in the optics section.

Well I don’t say what I spend on optics and since the wife started taking a liking to things like Lecia ultras, swaro 15z, and swaro 95 spotters well….. 😂🤦🏼‍♂️👍

• Haha
Reactions: Bonecollector

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
To piggyback on ColoradoV

I’m getting buried with my swaro’s just in case there are deer to spot in heaven ( if I end up there) lol

wish I could hunt elk and deer for under 100$!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I guess that I'll update what I am spending on a hunting trip.

This June I am headed back to Africa for another hunt. The hunt is $6700 for 10 animals in 10 days, airfare is $2400 but that also includes rescue in case I need it. They will fly me back home here to Colorado on a air ambulance if needed. Tips and a few other things will be around $1500 and getting a few trophies back home I figure will be around $3000-4000. Then another $1000 here for the taxidermy.

I had to up my estimate due to the airfare but will still be under the $15000 for the trip that some would consider the trip of a lifetime.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015

This June I am headed back to Africa for another hunt. The hunt is $6700 for 10 animals in 10 days, airfare is $2400 but that also includes rescue in case I need it. They will fly me back home here to Colorado on a air ambulance if needed. Tips and a few other things will be around $1500 and getting a few trophies back home I figure will be around $3000-4000. Then another $1000 here for the taxidermy.

I had to up my estimate due to the airfare but will still be under the $15000 for the trip that some would consider the trip of a lifetime.

I didn't think you could even go to Africa now. They must have lifted the travel ban.

What 10 animals are you going after?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
don't need to spend a fortune to hunt deer or elk. we just do it because we are spoiled and need our luxuries.

IDAHO rocks and the rest of the worlds got nothing I need!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I didn't think you could even go to Africa now. They must have lifted the travel ban.

What 10 animals are you going after?
From what I have seen over on a different forum there never was a outright ban for US citizens to travel there and back. Hunters have been jumping through the hoops for the last 3 years to go hunt.

My main animal will be a warthog since I didn't get one on my first trip and I wanted one. Then a blue wildebeast, I have a black one. I'd also like a duiker. Others on the list are kudu, gemsbuck, impala, 1 trophy and 1 cull, blesbock, 1 trophy and 1 cull.

Then 3 of this group,
Baboon, Jackal, Bushbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Male -or- Female White
Blesbuck, Ostrich, Cape Springbuck or Black Springbuck!

Since most of the animals are taken when you see them I'll make up my mind when I am there but I am thinking a baboon, jackal, reedbuck.

Reactions: mallardsx2

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011

$1000 doesnt seem much for taxi; are you just getting euro's done?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
$1000 doesnt seem much for taxi; are you just getting euro's done?
I'm planning right now just a shoulder mount on the warthog and euros on what else I might bring back. I already have the kudu, gemsbuck, impala, and springbuck and am running out of room. Right now I am debating on having the mounts done in South Africa or back here in the US. Shipping rates are going up right now and a shoulder mount takes up quite a bit of room where they can ship the hides and horns back here to Colorado in a compact box so to speak. I may have to raise that taxidermy estimate if I have the work done here in the US.

Decisions decisions....

I was thinking a euro tree for the others made out of a 4x4 post or a nice piece of cedar.

Jim, What are you gonna do with a baboon?
Just euro of the skull. They treat baboons over there like we treat coyotes. Usually they are shot on sight.

Reactions: buckbull

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Wait since this is in the optics section.

Well I don’t say what I spend on optics and since the wife started taking a liking to things like Lecia ultras, swaro 15z, and swaro 95 spotters well….. 😂🤦🏼‍♂️👍
My wife don't hunt, but she does like the swaro and zeiss binocs we have. 15x56 on a tripod next to the kitchen table with a couple of 10x40's on the kitchen table. I can glass alot of country from the house. Alot of country.

Reactions: ColoradoV