6.5 Creedmore Ammo

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Hey guys i just picked up a Tikka in the 6.5 Creedmore and i'm wondering what you have found to be good rounds for this rifle. I will be using it for whitetail, muley and probably antelope. I will purchasing ammo, im not into reloading. Thanks. Luke

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Was at my local WalMart before my 4th season hunt and dropped by their sporting goods section. I did find some .22 LR and bought some. They also had some shotgun ammo, but their rifle and pistol ammo shelves were almost empty.

You definately should consider reloading and the 6.5 C is the perfect round to start with.....just sayin.

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
I guess im more interested in a brand and grain that you guys have found to work well with the 6.5. Im not in a rush to shoot, still need a scope for it.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
For what its worth, my wife's shoots 140 grain core-locks very well.

One ragged hole at 100 yards. Hard to believe but its true.

Best bullet I tried and I tried about 4 brands through the gun. They all shot well but the core-locks were deadly accurate.

Reactions: mustang8

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hey guys i just picked up a Tikka in the 6.5 Creedmore and i'm wondering what you have found to be good rounds for this rifle. I will be using it for whitetail, muley and probably antelope. I will purchasing ammo, im not into reloading. Thanks. Luke
If you can find them, these are as good as we have found. https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/6-5-creedmoor-143-gr-eld-x-precision-hunter#!/
The Remington's mentioned above do shoot great but they shoot quite a bit slower so you give up distance. Inside of 300, likely wouldn't matter.

Last edited:

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Hornady 143 eldx .... i also agree with cc. For the prices of the Hornady precision hunter (143 bullet i believe)you can start collecting stuff for reloading

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hornady 143 eldx .... i also agree with cc. For the prices of the Hornady precision hunter (143 bullet i believe)you can start collecting stuff for reloading
I have been reloading so long that I really don't know the price difference between factory and my reloads. Used to that I reloaded for half the cost of factory. I could also save more if I bought in bulk when I found something for a cheaper price. Of course the other advantage is you can tailor your loads to your gun for better accuracy.

Reactions: mustang8 and JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just as a example on the cost of factory vs reloading.

My .340 Weatherby likes premium loads. The factory box of 20 round will run you around $125.00 I can reload that same round for $1.00 a round or $20 for a box of 20.

Now when I go and purchase new components the cost will go up some but I would wager that I am still loading them for less than $2 a round.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Just as a example on the cost of factory vs reloading.

My .340 Weatherby likes premium loads. The factory box of 20 round will run you around $125.00 I can reload that same round for $1.00 a round or $20 for a box of 20.

Now when I go and purchase new components the cost will go up some but I would wager that I am still loading them for less than $2 a round.
Bigger the caliber = bigger savings. Unless you plan to shoot a lot or load for multiple calibers, the initial investment is costly.
Also, factory ammo and rifle production have both improved, making accuracy a moot point unless you are a long range junkie.
However, it is a fun hobby which I partake and enjoy. Plus if you can stock up on supplies, the scamdemic won't hurt as bad.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have actually done the comparison on cartridges down to 7mm Rem mag and it also follows the same curve. The premium bullets for the 7mm are about the same price for those for my .340. It just takes less powder. Those same premium rounds for that 7mm Rem mag are running around $80.00 for a box of 20 if you can find them and can be loaded for less than $1.00 so a savings of around $60 for a box of 20

None of my calculations figure in the cost of brass since once you have a supply they should last at least 5 loading's.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
All have already said this but just to add. The girlfriends CA Ridgline has been shooting the Hornady ELDX factory loads lights out, and I mean lights out. I checked her zero yesterday and cloverleafed 3 deadon bullseye.

Really makes me re think my custom rifle and handloads. 😃

I guess a good problem to have.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Years ago one of the gun magazines did a article on what was better, factory rounds or reloaded ammo as far as accuracy.

They came to the conclusion that factory if you find the right ammo is just as good as the home brew ammo.

The only problem being that the factory is going to cost a lot more than that home made ammo.

I found this out with my Weatherby. I can reload the same round for 1/4 the price of factory.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I am not looking at getting into reloading, but i have some questions.

I am a totals guy, so with that said, what would it cost to get into reloading with nothin?
No brass, no bullets, no powder, no primers, no press, no dies, ect, ect
Lets start with 50 rounds of 300 win mag for ease of use.
would $1000.00 cover everything you would need? Like i said, you have nothing, and you are starting from scratch.