Deer neck collar?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Did you turn the collar over to the DNR/F&G? I got a car killed moose a few years ago that had a collar, and received info from the DNR about where & when it was collared and at what age. Mortality factors, including hunting are a big part of the information that is an important part of what affects overall herd numbers.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
Did you turn the collar over to the DNR/F&G? I got a car killed moose a few years ago that had a collar, and received info from the DNR about where & when it was collared and at what age. Mortality factors, including hunting are a big part of the information that is an important part of what affects overall herd numbers.
Yes I shot him on Thursday and turned the collar over to Colorado parks and wildlife on Friday. We found 2 collared deer and 1 on a Antelope on this hunt.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I would call it in. When the heartbeat stops the collar will send a GPS location. I’ve never seen a mule deer that was collared before but I know in Nv they do collar them.
In Ca there are a ton of bears that are collared. I’ve seen one small bear this year that had one on.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
I would call it in. When the heartbeat stops the collar will send a GPS location. I’ve never seen a mule deer that was collared before but I know in Nv they do collar them.
In Ca there are a ton of bears that are collared. I’ve seen one small bear this year that had one on.
I already dropped it off at the office. I found 2 collared deer in Colorado and 6 in Oregon.

The people that checked it in didn't know much about what info I'll recive. I was going to call the biologist latter this week.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Do like the guys in Michigan did with the wolves and put the collar on a railroad car. lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
All that will do is to send the collar to who knows where.

Most collars have a mortality signal that is sent out when the animal dies one way or another.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm all about killing deer but I am rooting for that deer to live for another year and enjoy his life before he gets shot. I would imagine he has been under a lot of stress this year with that crap on his head. Guess I'm getting soft in my old age. lol

Reactions: kidoggy and Hilltop