Hammer Bullets?

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I'm seriously thinking of switching over my personal rifles to Hammers. Specifically the 172 Absolute Hammer for the 7mm Rem Mag and the 87 Absolute Hammer for the 6mm Creedmoor.

Does anyone here have experience loading, shooting and most importantly, taking game with the Hammer bullets?

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
I loaded 117gr HH for the trusty .270 and sitting at 0.7" 3 shot groups. I didn't get a chance to do long range verification before my goat hunt so i stuck with the 150 AB LR that I have dialed into 600. They were easy to load and didn't seem to care about seating depth compared to other bullets and overall seemed very consistent. There are some load data files on the long range shooting forums. I ended up just loading with what i had around and worked up.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I loaded 117gr HH for the trusty .270 and sitting at 0.7" 3 shot groups. I didn't get a chance to do long range verification before my goat hunt so i stuck with the 150 AB LR that I have dialed into 600. They were easy to load and didn't seem to care about seating depth compared to other bullets and overall seemed very consistent. There are some load data files on the long range shooting forums. I ended up just loading with what i had around and worked up.
Good to know. I'm thinking they are the perfect blend of frangibility and penetration. Shed three petals and the shank exits. All with minimal meat damage from what I hear. I'm getting tired of losing so much meat off the fronts of my animals in spite of the DRT results of Hornady ELDX and Bergers.

Reactions: DRUSS

memtb

I'm seriously thinking of switching over my personal rifles to Hammers. Specifically the 172 Absolute Hammer for the 7mm Rem Mag and the 87 Absolute Hammer for the 6mm Creedmoor.

Does anyone here have experience loading, shooting and most importantly, taking game with the Hammer bullets?

Of course you have to develope a “path of plausible deniability” as you are an administrator 🤪, but there are a couple of websites that can give some pretty extensive information.

The first.......The Hammer website. Great info.....somewhat difficult to navigate!

The other.......Long Range Hunting Magazine forum. There are quite a few Hammer shooters over there!

memtb

Last edited:
Reactions: THelms

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Of course you have to develope a “path of plausible deniability” as you are an administrator 🤪, but there are a couple of websites that can give some pretty extensive information.

The first.......The Hammer website. Great info.....somewhat difficult to navigate!

The other.......Long Range Hunting Magazine forum. There are quite a few Hammer shooters over there!

memtb
I'll check them out!

Reactions: memtb

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I have shot two whitetail does with a 300 RUM and Hammer bullets. Last year, I used a 181 gr Hammer Hunter at just under 3300 fps. This year, I used a 124 gr Hammer Hunter at 3800 fps. The effect on the deer with lung shots was similar to what I have seen with 77 gr Sierra TMKs out of 223s, 210 gr Bergers out of a 300 RUM, and 300 gr Bergers out of a 338 LM - they ran 30 to 50 yards and dropped. The bullets did a lot damage to the lungs and there were good blood trails.

Next year, I hope to try a 199 gr Hammer Hunter out of a 30 Nosler on elk. I think they will shine on elk, especially if I have to take a quartering to me shot or if I hit a little far forward on a broadside shot.

This was the spray from the bullet’s exit on this year’s doe:

8CE15517-1D54-499D-AAD4-8362DC3CE329.jpeg

Reactions: Bonecollector