Not a single antelope tag

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Covid strikes again.

I believe that there are a lot of hunters who are cashing in points the last two seasons.

I know that the draw here in Colorado has been all out of wack as far as tags going to point holders and choices in draws. In areas that used to have left over tags all of the tags went in the first couple of draws.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Going to be a lot of disappointed non-resident hunters in North East Wyoming. Access up there is a real problem. That's why those tags usually don't sell.

edit to add- also those drawing that area 38 tag south of 34. Basically nowhere to hunt other than a few small pieces of BLM that will be hammered at opening light. over 1000 people applied for the 100 permits left there. Crazy

• Wow
Reactions: shootbrownelk

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Going to be a lot of disappointed non-resident hunters in North East Wyoming. Access up there is a real problem. That's why those tags usually don't sell.

edit to add- also those drawing that area 38 tag south of 34. Basically nowhere to hunt other than a few small pieces of BLM that will be hammered at opening light. over 1000 people applied for the 100 permits left there. Crazy
38-2 can be filled very easily if you're willing to wait for the migration. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of pronghorn will cross and stage along 34 later in season. Timing is the key to filling those tags.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
38-2 can be filled very easily if you're willing to wait for the migration. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of pronghorn will cross and stage along 34 later in season. Timing is the key to filling those tags.
For residents of Laramie and Cheyenne it's not a bad tag- I agree. For a non-resident it becomes a lot more challenging as they have to try to guess when to come... and hope the antelope are on one of 3 less than square mile pieces next to the highway.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
If I had that tag I would watch the weather in Oct and into Nov. When snow starts the migration will too. Plan a week and come try.

I do feel for those NR hunters as I was told by a biologist they had some landowners looking for hunters and a reduction in pronghorn on their lands. Turns out maybe not too many are on board.
That tag should go the way of the 7-2 elk if numbers don't payoff, out of the draw.

Reactions: Hilltop

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Covid strikes again.

I believe that there are a lot of hunters who are cashing in points the last two seasons.

I know that the draw here in Colorado has been all out of wack as far as tags going to point holders and choices in draws. In areas that used to have left over tags all of the tags went in the first couple of draws.
Cashing in points and winter kill. The 2 units I and my friends have been hunting for antelope for 40 years has been hit pretty hard with winter kills. We usually draw buck tags every 2 to 4 years and in the years we don't have enough points to draw buck tags, we usually apply for as couple of doe tags. There have been no type 6 doe/fawn tags available for residents or NR's the last 2 years. When we were there in 2019 we actually saw as many bucks as we did does and fawns.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
If I had that tag I would watch the weather in Oct and into Nov. When snow starts the migration will too. Plan a week and come try.

I do feel for those NR hunters as I was told by a biologist they had some landowners looking for hunters and a reduction in pronghorn on their lands. Turns out maybe not too many are on board.
That tag should go the way of the 7-2 elk if numbers don't payoff, out of the draw.
The 7-2 tag is a good one to have, depending on your birthday.

Reactions: shootbrownelk