Cabon fiber tripods for the heavier glass

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I’m in the market for a new tripod for glass that weighs around the 6-7 pounds. Dose anyone have any experience with the slik 734 or the Sirui T-024sk?

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I’m in the market for a new tripod for glass that weighs around the 6-7 pounds. Dose anyone have any experience with the slik 734 or the Sirui T-024sk?
I don't have experience with those, but we've used the new Vortex tripods a little. They seem pretty legit. The Ridgeview Carbon is a sturdy tripod that holds heavier glass pretty well. https://vortexoptics.com/ridgeview-carbon-tripod.html.

Weighs only 3 lbs.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I have a Standard size tripod from Outdoorsman and it only weighs about 4 lbs including the head.
I don't think that's bad for such a sturdy tripod.
But you are correct, they are expensive.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have a Sirui T-025x and I'm VERY happy with it. I'm not sure what's the diff between the T-024 and the -025 but the quality is outstanding. Everything is butter smooth, the fine-adjust has no "play" so it's easy to make micro adjustments in the head, and it's totally silent unless you bang it on a rock. For <25oz it's the best tripod I've owned (I have like 4 now...)

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I have a Sirui T-025x and I'm VERY happy with it. I'm not sure what's the diff between the T-024 and the -025 but the quality is outstanding. Everything is butter smooth, the fine-adjust has no "play" so it's easy to make micro adjustments in the head, and it's totally silent unless you bang it on a rock. For <25oz it's the best tripod I've owned (I have like 4 now...)
not positive without looking up, but diff may be twist vs flip leg locks

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
I have the SLIK 733, the SIRUI T024X, and the original Outdoorsman. As to the carbon tripods, it depends on what you are planning to do with it and the optics you are running. If you are not going to glass standing, then the SIRUI would work if you are concerned about weight/size. If you are going to be doing any glassing standing, then get the SLIK. Also recommend the VA-5 head. IMO the SIRUI is on the light side for running a BTX sized optic unless you are just going to be sitting with minimal leg extensions and are running the VA-5 head. Been there done that…

Horniac

Reactions: Seggie333