4 wheel drive projects

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
It would be great :). We had a 65 4x4 pu and a 62 2wd pu growing up. In high school I had a 65 short box 4x4 that I put a 396 big block in. They are my favorite rigs
You have any pics of that 65? I have a 65 SWB 4x4 project. It’s a long long ways from being much but someday I will build it. I need to find everything but the frame and box to make something of it.
A friend of mine’s dad has one with an LS6 454 in it, it’s a beautiful truck. He’s had it since I can remember.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
You have any pics of that 65? I have a 65 SWB 4x4 project. It’s a long long ways from being much but someday I will build it. I need to find everything but the frame and box to make something of it.
A friend of mine’s dad has one with an LS6 454 in it, it’s a beautiful truck. He’s had it since I can remember.
I have pics somewhere, but unfortunately I don't have very many! I was always going to restore it and never got to it. I sold it to give my son some help with college. I sure wish I had it back now, but I wasn't in a good position financially then. It is getting restored and the guy that bought it promised me first right of refusal if he ever sells it, so maybe someday if he remembers me, I could luck out and get it back. One can only dream!
He's a great guy that gave my kids work when they were in High School, so at least I feel good about who has it :).
Mine was a Short Narrow box, but my favorite was the SWB like yours! That will be an amazing truck! If you ever decide to part with it please let me know :), I love those trucks!

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Do you happen to have pics of the 65 your friends dad has, I'd love to see that. I bet it's pretty cool too! Ultimately a 66 SWB 4x4 with a 454 would be my dream truck. Only reason for the "66" is because that's my birth year :), ya I'm getting older!

Reactions: shootbrownelk

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Here is my 68 and 90. 68 is all original....35,000 actual miles on it. The 90 is our family pride and joy...

View attachment 34098
View attachment 34099
View attachment 34100

View attachment 34097

View attachment 34103View attachment 34104
View attachment 34105
Brandon,
Seeing that pic of the 68 that shows the clutch pedal with the rubber missing and the old E-brake handle sure makes me smile for some reason. Not sure why that one does it, but it just brings back tons of memories riding around in Dads' old GMCs.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Oh this is fantastic! Brandon's 'burb addiction has now made it to the forum. We may have all taken a ride in the 72 when he first got it and driven to the coffee hut for fun.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Brandon,
Seeing that pic of the 68 that shows the clutch pedal with the rubber missing and the old E-brake handle sure makes me smile for some reason. Not sure why that one does it, but it just brings back tons of memories riding around in Dads' old GMCs.
Ya, I am ordering a new clutch pedal pad.....I love that old e-brake handle, too. Fun to drive!

Reactions: gonhunting247

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Well, the '72 I posted pics up of initially didn't end up selling. If anyone is interested or knows anyone who is, let me know. Only 879 of these made in '72.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Well, the '72 I posted pics up of initially didn't end up selling. If anyone is interested or knows anyone who is, let me know. Only 879 of these made in '72.
Check that...it sold to a different gentleman on Monday. I asked my dad if this is what it feels like to have a child grow up and leave the house...LOL!

Attachments

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Sooo....big week for the Square Body '90 I have, a.k.a. the Blueberry (see pic below for those that haven't seen it yet). It's going in to get 4.10 gears to replace the gutless 3.42's it currently has. Hopefully this works as I hope to get the torque I need for towing/maintaining highway speeds. The 3.42's are terrible for this heavy 4 wheel drive vehicle. It is unable to hold speeds in overdrive so the transmission works harder than it needs to. Because of this I usually just drive in 3rd (D) and it is still underpowered/undergeared.

I know the 3.73's are a good overall setup, but I don't want barely enough towing power....I want to hook on to my utility trailer with huntin' camp/ATV in it and go. Stay tuned...I'll report how it turns out. Also putting in a RetroSound stereo in it and then this baby will be about where I want it.

Then...time to focus on the 68!

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Looking at the pictures kind of makes me want my old 77 K5 Blazer. Man that thing would 4 wheel and go just about anywhere. But after 200,000+ miles on the I looked at it and saw a rust spot on the fender and put my finger through it.

But when I traded it in I got top price for it which was just $2K less than I paid for it.

I also had a old 1942 Ford Jeep with the 134 Hurricane flathead 4 cylinder, now talk about a 4x4...
I had a 76 K-5 that I really miss. Great machine.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
You guys with old trucks and no rust just suck! Trucks around here will have rusted out wheel wells in about 5 years. Damn things aren't even paid for yet. Midwest winters.