2021 Fishing

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I must not be the norm. I would rather be at work making money than not catching fish.
I hate fishing and not catching anything. I dont have a bite in the first 1/2 hour I'm gone.

I have been known to cruise around the Chesapeake bay for 8 hours searching for a stingray with my bow only to come up empty handed....Guess I have more patience for seek and destroy..lol

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I almost got a big cobia while bowfishing on year. He was very lucky to go deep when he did...lol I hear they are super tasty fish. Some say they taste like shark.

Reactions: marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Think ice fishing season done here. Had 3 people die this week in lower michigan trying to ice fish and several fall in. It been warming up a lot the last week plus and we are expected tk hit 58 today. Time to switch to preparing for open water

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Orangemouth Corvina. They were planted in the Salton Sea south of Palm Springs. Used to catch a lot of them, some as big as the one in the picture. Great eating too. The water got too salty about 25 years ago and they died out as they couldn't spawn.

My Dad and Grandfather in about 1980 with some Corvina from the Salton Sea.

Last edited:
Reactions: AKaviator and JimP

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Ive been told all kinds of different namez for that fish.

Nothing seems to fit
No spots on tail
Shape is off
So i don't think cobia or covina

Had one guy tell me totoaba but this one didn't have rough scales.

Not sure what it was but none of the boat captains on the dock knew either

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Cc thats the book on totoaba
Only spawned in the Colorado river estuary then it got to salty.

Might be same fish just called different names?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
White Sea Bass, Totoaba, corvina (several varieties) are all croakers. They croak when you take them out of the water. All great eating.

I was only about 10 years old when my Dad and several friends took me with them to San Felipe in northern Baja to fish Totoaba. They rented skiffs and we went out several miles to a small reef. Caught 4 or 5 as I remember. They were all between 75 & 100 pounds. There are still a few that show up on the long range trips out of San Felipe. The picture is from a 6 day trip on a mother ship that we fished in skiffs. These are my Dad's and my catch. Yellowtail, red snapper, grouper and cabrilla.34118

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
White Sea Bass, Totoaba, corvina (several varieties) are all croakers. They croak when you take them out of the water. All great eating.

I was only about 10 years old when my Dad and several friends took me with them to San Felipe in northern Baja to fish Totoaba. They rented skiffs and we went out several miles to a small reef. Caught 4 or 5 as I remember. They were all between 75 & 100 pounds. There are still a few that show up on the long range trips out of San Felipe. The picture is from a 6 day trip on a mother ship that we fished in skiffs. These are my Dad's and my catch. Yellowtail, red snapper, grouper and cabrilla.View attachment 34118
Cowboy....all fish croak when you take them out of the water....LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Colorado Cowboy