NM oryx?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I see the Jan,Feb seasons are tougher to draw....? is that just a time of year issue? or is there a better reason to hunt them in jan/feb as opposed to sept oct ?? I assume more guys are just hunting elk etc...other animals then and take a chance at them in jan/feb...

Rhino Hunter

Oct 1, 2012
I see the Jan,Feb seasons are tougher to draw....? is that just a time of year issue? or is there a better reason to hunt them in jan/feb as opposed to sept oct ?? I assume more guys are just hunting elk etc...other animals then and take a chance at them in jan/feb...
When is the app deadline?

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I assume you are talking about the monthly hunts? I'm sure part of it is it's off-season for other big game species. If that's the same time as some of the base hunts there is the chance that oryx get spooked off the base hunts into your hands. Oryx generally hole up when it's windy and cold so Jan/Feb could actually be a negative. You may be able to see fresh tracks if there is snow? These are just a few of many factors.

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
The application deadline is March 17th.

I believe the later hunts are probably more popular because other seasons (deer and elk) are closed.

Southern NM can be hot in September into October. Even if if it's just warm the logistics of the hunt can make it hard to keep meat edible that time of year.