Cow Moose Wyoming Question

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
It depends on the area and how many tags are given. Also you have to shoot a cow with no calf tagging along. Read the draw odds and apply.

Reactions: Slugz

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Half decent = 10 day hunt, seeing animals and 2 shot opportunities.

Thanks Buzz.
Like was mentioned, the trick if finding a lone cow. Could take 15 minutes, 3 days, 5 days. Depends on how hard a person hunts.

Best way to hunt cows is to cover country.

Probably no area that much better than the next, IMO.

Good luck!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Most of the lone cow moose here in NE Minnesota had their calf killed by predators, primarily wolves. The big woods habitat for both the moose and wolf cover the same area in MN, but that isn't necessarily true (yet) in the west. I would look at the long term success rate as well as the draw odds, as some areas that have lower numbers may still have a higher success rate. I would bet that Buzz has some insight on this.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks for all the info. I just needed a general idea of how many years it would take a resident to draw a moose cow tag is all. Go Deep got me the info. Needed to get a rough idea before I did a big data dive. I wasnt gonna waste my time if it was as bad as a bull tag.

Seems like generally speaking....both Colorado and Wyoming a resident can draw a cow moose tag every 5 years or so. Roughly.

Thanks again

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Thanks for all the info. I just needed a general idea of how many years it would take a resident to draw a moose cow tag is all. Go Deep got me the info. Needed to get a rough idea before I did a big data dive. I wasnt gonna waste my time if it was as bad as a bull tag.

Seems like generally speaking....both Colorado and Wyoming a resident can draw a cow moose tag every 5 years or so. Roughly.

Thanks again
Take a hard look at the numbers and regulations. In Wyoming, there were only 6 cow moose tags given last year in the state. Also consider Wyoming has a 5 year waiting period after successfully drawing a moose tag. That means no preference points can purchased either.

If the 90/10 legislation passes, there may not even be any cow moose permits available to non-residents.

A guy starting right now would be lucky to even get a tag in his lifetime - even for just a cow.

Reactions: BKC and Slugz

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Also of note, if the proposed bill passes, all moose permits will go to almost 3k. Pretty damn steep for a cow! Only silver lining may be that a lot fewer people apply.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
First post: :Trying to help a friend. How many points does a resident need to draw a half decent cow moose tag"

All good yes im a CO resident. Helping out a Casper WY friend.

I gave up on bull hunting the lower 48 a few years ago. Just cow hunt CO now.

Going to AK DIY moose hunt in 23 and hope to create a logistical problem😃

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
First post: :Trying to help a friend. How many points does a resident need to draw a half decent cow moose tag"

All good yes im a CO resident. Helping out a Casper WY friend.

I gave up on bull hunting the lower 48 a few years ago. Just cow hunt CO now.

Going to AK DIY moose hunt in 23 and hope to create a logistical problem😃
Missed that - sorry. The waiting period does still apply for residents so at best you can draw the tougher hunt areas every 10 years or so.

It will take a resident a lot longer to draw a good cow moose permit, even if they implement the 90/10 split, imo. Look at the areas and the points required- they go hand in hand with the ease at which a person can harvest in most instances. Area 38 is a pretty easy cow moose hunt- hence it took 12 points to draw in 2020. Area 40 is a lower moose density area so a guy better have quite a few days to spend if he has that tag so it only took 3 points to draw in 2020.