2022 ELK Hunt Recommendations

KTMan

Feb 22, 2021
I plan to retire summer 2022. Plan to give myself a retirement gift. I want an Elk hunt for my son and myself. It's very possible this will be a 4-5 person hunt as my cousin wants to take his two boys as well.

Looking for any recommendations. Probably prefer more of a full service hunt as to a DYI. I know budget will limit us on our choices, but like to be around the $5000 per hunter range. Might could go a little more, but that's a ball park figure.

Thanks,

KTMan

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You may be a little too late for 2022. A lot of outfitters who hunt on OTC tag units book real early and with this covid thing more and more hunters are booking hunts.

Do you have any idea of what state you want to hunt? Are you just looking for opportunity or a couple of trophies? Horseback or drive in camping to the outfitters location?

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
Make sure you purchase points this year if you haven't already started to do so. It is getting tougher as a NR to draw tags in most states. For instance, the ranch we hunt in Montana requires a NR to draw not only for a general tag , but also for a limited entry tag on a portion of the ranch, which requires around 2-4 points for a NR. Good luck in your plans!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I plan to retire summer 2022. Plan to give myself a retirement gift. I want an Elk hunt for my son and myself. It's very possible this will be a 4-5 person hunt as my cousin wants to take his two boys as well.

Looking for any recommendations. Probably prefer more of a full service hunt as to a DYI. I know budget will limit us on our choices, but like to be around the $5000 per hunter range. Might could go a little more, but that's a ball park figure.

Thanks,

KTMan
Any preference points in any states?

To stay in your budget, I would consider splitting up between cow and bull tags. For instance, a 7K bull hunt can usually add a cow hunt for 2k or less, fully guided. If you were booking 2 bull and 2 cow hunts at the same time, you could likely get a break on the cost. Doing this type of hunt would open up a lot of opportunities in the 15k-20k range for 4 hunters.

I say the above because budget elk hunts can be a crap shoot. For a little more money, you can really step into a trophy level hunt where you have a great chance at a 300"+ bull with a guaranteed cow. The experience would likely be much better unless you get lucky.

KTMan

Feb 22, 2021
Any preference points in any states?

To stay in your budget, I would consider splitting up between cow and bull tags. For instance, a 7K bull hunt can usually add a cow hunt for 2k or less, fully guided. If you were booking 2 bull and 2 cow hunts at the same time, you could likely get a break on the cost. Doing this type of hunt would open up a lot of opportunities in the 15k-20k range for 4 hunters.

I say the above because budget elk hunts can be a crap shoot. For a little more money, you can really step into a trophy level hunt where you have a great chance at a 300"+ bull with a guaranteed cow. The experience would likely be much better unless you get lucky.
No preference points in any states. I know this will add extra cost if I try to get land owner tags. I prefer to spend the extra money and have a once in a lifetime trip, but I do need to keep the other guys in mind. When I told them we needed to be more in the 8-9 range they did not seem like that would be doable for them

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You should be able to find hunts where over the counter tags are offered for that $5,000 budget.

But once again what states are you interested in and do you have any preference for areas in those states? What is your weapon choice, archery or rifle?

Colorado offers a lot of OTC tags where you just show up at a Walmart and gas stations and plop down your money and walk out with a tag for both archery and rifle hunts.

KTMan

Feb 22, 2021
You should be able to find hunts where over the counter tags are offered for that $5,000 budget.

But once again what states are you interested in and do you have any preference for areas in those states? What is your weapon choice, archery or rifle?

Colorado offers a lot of OTC tags where you just show up at a Walmart and gas stations and plop down your money and walk out with a tag for both archery and rifle hunts.
Do not have a preference on state. Weapon of choice for group will most likely be rifle of ML.

Just looking for a quality hunting experience with a reasonable chance at one of us harvesting an elk.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
No points.....Colorado OTC tags for 2nd & 3rd rifle seasons. I would google Colorado Outfitters Association. There are a lot of options and outfitters all over the state. Get a list of past customers and contact some of them when you are considering an outfitter. Also the Colorado Parks & Wildlife webpage has a list of the licensed outfitters.

Options with outfitters include the type of lodging (cabin, tent, some do motels), area for hunting(BLM, NF and/or Private) and transportation (Your vehicle, OHV, Horse or ranch vehicle).

lots of variables.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Looking at a couple outfitters where I had booked with in the past, One charges $5K for an OTC area hunt, and the other is $6.9K for a 11 pt. (NR) hunt. Add on the tag, travel, tips, etc., and you can tack on another $2K. In the for what it's worth column, I get the Guide Assn. magazines for WY and CO, and the state statistics for guided elk hunts are WY- 58%, and CO - 25%. But, even a General elk tag for a NR in WY takes at least 3 pts. to draw (except for the small random odds).

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
No preference points in any states. I know this will add extra cost if I try to get land owner tags. I prefer to spend the extra money and have a once in a lifetime trip, but I do need to keep the other guys in mind. When I told them we needed to be more in the 8-9 range they did not seem like that would be doable for them
Might be worth checking out this hunt - https://elkmountain.com/english/big_game.html I believe you would be able to draw with one point. I have never hunted with them- just grew up in the area and was aware of the operation... and the big elk they brought in. Might be able to negotiate group pricing.

Reactions: KTMan

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Colorado or Montana. I would contact this outfit. Forest is a good guy. His cell number is 970-230-0026.

Last edited: