Stoeger 3500 Info for Potential Buyers

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Just wanted to relay my experience here so others know the mistake I think I made. First a scene setter.....

Beretta owns Benelli.
Benelli owns Stoeger.
Stoeger semi autos are made in Turkey.

I've had several people that I trust and I know are being honest tell me nothing but great things about their Stoeger 3500. A close friend of mine is the worst I've ever seen at keeping his guns clean and periodic maintenance. He even used his once as a paddle, shook the water out and it worked fine. I was sold that these Stoegers were a slimmed down version of the other great interia driven guns those Italian companys make.

We ran em dry, ran em wet, ran em with light oil. We got the factory grease out and follow everything the operating manual says. We store em bolt closed. Issues we have are.....
1) They don't like the cold. I can only guess at why, but they don't. All my southern friend's have zero issues with them.
2) Sometimes the #1 hull gets stuck as its ejected
3) Sometimes the infamous click
4) Winchester Super X are a disaster. Switched to Federal Black cloud and helped a little. ( 1.5 full seasons with Federal BC
5) Only 30 percent of the time do we get 3 shots in one salvo with no issues

We have used the guns like normal waterfowl hunters would. Kayak hunting, blind hunting, layout blind hunting, pit hunting and bucket sitting in dove season. We dont muddy em up. We protect em in the goose pit but there is not one consistent issue with them and its always something. They pattern great with a Patternmaster Choke and the supplied chokes are not far behind.

Why did I get some Stoegers you may ask. Well price and thinking its a simple gun made by some gun makers who have a history of making simple guns that work well. Todays price comparison for reference.

600$ M3500 in Black
700$ M3500 in Camo (sons gun)
1100$ M3500 Waterfowl model in Camo ( my gun)
1700$ Super Black Eagle II
1800$ Super Black Eagle III

I cant say with fact, exact data or 100% assurance they are junk. But we have too may issues to not think there was some kind of manufacturing issue that is doing this. Tolerance on a piece of metal of some process. Different bad lot numbers. Don't know.

Buy once cry once. You pay for what ya get. I know em all. We will most liklely try and send them to Stoeger but I have not heard much good news about that procedure. Most likely I'm gonna send them to my local shotgun expert gunsmith and have him look em over, polish and smooth what he thinks should be polished and smoothed, maybe round some edges and see how they work. At the very least we will turn them into turkey guns I guess.

I'm leaning towards getting a couple SBE II since they have been around a while and sending them to Rob Roberts Custom Gun works and let him do his majic. We spend way too much time scouting, driving in the dark setting up and taking down spreads not to make each and every opportunity count. You lunatic waterfowl guys know what I mean :)

Hope that helps someone. All the best.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I feel your frustration. Be curious yo hear any follow up from your smith or the manufacturer if it gets that far.

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
I have both gas and inertia driven guns. They all run better when keep clean. I have a Stoger and Winchester Sx3 and I've had better luck with the Winchester. I have buddy's with sb2 and sb3 and Beretta's all are great,but if not cleaned and cared for properly all will give you headaches.

Reactions: Slugz

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
One sad fact about most of today's guns, fresh from the factory they leave a lot to be desired.

I shoot a lot of competition in various gun sports and the sad fact is to be competitive, you really have to do work on factory guns. Action and trigger work on all my guns in addition to stock work to make them fit ME better. Years ago my old Winchester Model 12 3" Duck Gun was used out of the box for years without anything done to it. Todays production guns IMHO just are not made from the same materials and to the same tolerances. If they were, we probably couldn't afford to buy them.

The other thing I've found out over the years is that no gun writer ever found a new gun they didn't like! We depend on them for an unbiased judgement on the gun they are testing....sorry it just doesn't happen. We have to depend on information like this forum and recommendations from friends. The internet has made it better, but good information is still undependable.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have both gas and inertia driven guns. They all run better when keep clean. I have a Stoger and Winchester Sx3 and I've had better luck with the Winchester. I have buddy's with sb2 and sb3 and Beretta's all are great,but if not cleaned and cared for properly all will give you headaches.
My shotguns that I use for waterfowl and in dirty/wet conditions, I use graphite for lubrication.

Reactions: cacklercrazy

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gun worked well today. Seems like the key is keeping it really clean. Tough here. We got really light sandy dirt here in NE Colorado. When the hunting is good its blowing into everything.

Reactions: Winchester

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
Need to clean them semi autos after each hunt. At least the piston action. I oil my piston on my Gold before each hunt and seems to run better wet. I only had 1 stove pipe this season.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I have 2 of the Stoeger 3” semiautomatic 12 gauges and the only complaint I have is the safety is very stiff. We don’t bird hunt a lot, but we chase late season honkers up until Christmas, and have never had a problem with cold, either firing or ejecting.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gun is working great when I clean it.......correctly.

I used to shoot a 1100 Rem (gas gun) Would never baby it and clean it every few hunts.

Guessing these inertia driven guns just need to keep em cleaner.

Reactions: Winchester

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Clean the gun, soak the gun in Break-free clp.....leave the gun dripping wet.
Shoot it wet with break-free CLP....

I personally owned a Winchester SX2 with the high rib and fired 10,000+ rounds through it then a friend and I drank the coo-laid and tried going the Inertia gun route (SBEII 3.5").....It was a mistake for me. The recoil was just too severe and that bolt on those guns randomly coming half open all the time drove me absolutely seizure crazy....

So I went back to the gas guns...

Check the below links out:
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/maxus-2/current-production.html

You wont be sorry you went with either of these two guns.
I have "horse traded" with Silver, Gold, SX2, SX3, SX4 shotguns for years. I have never had an issue with any of them. Shoot them dripping wet with Break-free CLP.

Currently I have a Browning Silver Hunter 3.5" and a SX2 (Original 3.5" model 25 rounds through it...) That Silver hunter have thousands of rounds through it and it is my primary gun. Recoil is manageable even with 3.5" loads and they both pattern great. I never had problems in sub 0 temperatures with it either.

Pair any of them with a Comp-N-Choke and you got a real winning package.

Reactions: Turbodude

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Update. 2022.

After a 10 day straight dark goose hunt in all weather.

Franchi Affinity chews through the dust, dirt and grime. Not one misfire, jam or issue.

SBE3 did the same. Only issue was after loading if you sat it down to hard on its butt end you may or may not get the famous Bennelli click. No issues though with the dust, dirt and grime.

Stoeger 3500. Its gotta be cleaned after every shoot. Cold doesnt like it. Wet and cold and look out. Colorado dirt and grime is a no go in a goose pit.

Interestingly enough Wolf doesnt even carry the spring kits for the Stoeger anymore.

Glad all that have one have had no issues but these things just wont hold up to the daily abuse given to them. Not sure if its manufacturing tolerances or what. The SBE3 is essentially the same mechanically but worked worlds differently.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
Update. 2022.

After a 10 day straight dark goose hunt in all weather.

Franchi Affinity chews through the dust, dirt and grime. Not one misfire, jam or issue.

SBE3 did the same. Only issue was after loading if you sat it down to hard on its butt end you may or may not get the famous Bennelli click. No issues though with the dust, dirt and grime.

Stoeger 3500. Its gotta be cleaned after every shoot. Cold doesnt like it. Wet and cold and look out. Colorado dirt and grime is a no go in a goose pit.

Interestingly enough Wolf doesnt even carry the spring kits for the Stoeger anymore.

Glad all that have one have had no issues but these things just wont hold up to the daily abuse given to them. Not sure if its manufacturing tolerances or what. The SBE3 is essentially the same mechanically but worked worlds differently.
Have you checked out Sure Cycle springs. Put one in my Browning Gold & had the piston sealed, worked wonders