2021 Wyoming Antelope help

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
My daughter has 3 pps for antelope, with all the comments on this forum about the poor antelope numbers from this past fall I am at a loss on where to take her. I am not a road hunter and plan on spending a lot of time walking and glassing. I am just looking for general advice on an area that may still hold decent antelope numbers so that my daughter can throw some lead next fall, horn size is not a concern to me.
Please PM me if anyone is willing help.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
If the numbers are low, wait another year. Rinse and repeat until it meets your requirements.

Some forum had a guy whining about "trophy" bucks but he gave up after 3 days of looking and shot a 14 inch goat - then whined about trophy quality in the unit and how there were none. I think he was lazy and gave up too early, but lots of folks took his word as gospel...

Call the local game warden - they work hand in hand with the biologists on setting seasons and such - if anyone will know if will be GW.

I don't have my head in the game right now - in 2024 gonna start looking with <5 points for 3 guys (2 5s and 1 4).
If it isn't good then, we'll wait another year or two - just want a decent hunt with ample public land and less hunters.
Looking for public land and access, don't care it the goats are 12-14 inches, actually, those would be fine.
3 years before I even begin to research it again.

Reactions: dan maule

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Still plenty of areas with antelope. Numbers are down in some areas but plenty of good hunts out there. I do agree it would be best to wait until spring to see how numbers look.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I would wait until harvest results are in for the 2020 season. I would then try for a unit that has the fewest tags you thing you might draw. My experience form 2020 opened my eyes. A unit way down on antelope numbers and 500 buck tags and 400 doe tags makes for rough hunt.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
One other item to note, when you hunt can really impact the number of antelope you see. It is popular with many on this site to wait until 2-3 weeks into the season to avoid hunting pressure. In some areas, this means the majority of the antelope have been pushed to private or in some instances have started to migrate out of the area.

Jockeying around other hunters can be a pain but I prefer hunting opening day after scouting for a day or two leading up to the opener. I have had my buck on the ground many years in the first 30 minutes. I believe this to be a persons best opportunity for a trophy.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
One other item to note, when you hunt can really impact the number of antelope you see. It is popular with many on this site to wait until 2-3 weeks into the season to avoid hunting pressure. In some areas, this means the majority of the antelope have been pushed to private or in some instances have started to migrate out of the area.

Jockeying around other hunters can be a pain but I prefer hunting opening day after scouting for a day or two leading up to the opener. I have had my buck on the ground many years in the first 30 minutes. I believe this to be a persons best opportunity for a trophy.
That is exactly what I was planning, I try to find an out of the way spot that has some antelope before opening day and get on them right away. The kids don't always shoot that well so I like the beginning of season before they are really spooked. It can take several stalks for the kids to connect on a buck.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
If the numbers are low, wait another year. Rinse and repeat until it meets your requirements.

Some forum had a guy whining about "trophy" bucks but he gave up after 3 days of looking and shot a 14 inch goat - then whined about trophy quality in the unit and how there were none. I think he was lazy and gave up too early, but lots of folks took his word as gospel...

Call the local game warden - they work hand in hand with the biologists on setting seasons and such - if anyone will know if will be GW.

I don't have my head in the game right now - in 2024 gonna start looking with <5 points for 3 guys (2 5s and 1 4).
If it isn't good then, we'll wait another year or two - just want a decent hunt with ample public land and less hunters.
Looking for public land and access, don't care it the goats are 12-14 inches, actually, those would be fine.
3 years before I even begin to research it again.
The hardest part about Antelope hunting is how many you have to look over to find one that is unquestionably a BIG one!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

I will second that opening day can be good with scouting. One caveat I will add is that there are quite a few migratory hunts for antelope, late season can be an absolute ball if you time it right when the goats are there.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I will second that opening day can be good with scouting. One caveat I will add is that there are quite a few migratory hunts for antelope, late season can be an absolute ball if you time it right when the goats are there.
I concur on the late season antelope hunt. I’ve done it twice in the past 3 yrs. Took one of my biggest bucks this past season. 👍

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The hardest part about Antelope hunting is how many you have to look over to find one that is unquestionably a BIG one!
We have different "trophy" definitions. mine is any symmetrical antelope taken without some guys messing up my hunt. I really do think the big ones look ungainly. Traveling 30+ hr drive to hunt antelope and being able to do so in peace is it's own trophy.

I wouldn't say no to a lesson in the migratory kind of hunts you mentioned, just not looking for an 80 inch goat. Preferring little to no pressure from other guys and the ability to pattern the antelope and either spot & stalk or let them walk up to me the next day or two. Be a lot more fun than what i experienced in antelope hunting.