The time is almost here again...

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Can you guys believe application season is about to begin already for next year? Man! Time flies. I need to decide whether or not to burn my CO points. I'm probably gonna apply for my son and I in ND for archery, and all of the normal deer/elk/antelope here in WY.

I got skunked in the draws in 2020, but my 2 oldest kiddos drew some decent tags. I have more fun taking them out than anything. Hopefully they draw again in 2021!

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Yep, already strategizing for 2021. The draws in 2020 weren't good for me. Hopefully I'll draw a few good tags this year in WY.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is all one huge vicious cycle.

Applications, draws, plans, hunts, applications. I sat down one year and saw that there were 2 months out of the whole year that I didn't have something going on that didn't evolve hunting. So I started putting in for a couple more states and now the whole year is taken up.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
It is all one huge vicious cycle.

Applications, draws, plans, hunts, applications. I sat down one year and saw that there were 2 months out of the whole year that I didn't have something going on that didn't evolve hunting. So I started putting in for a couple more states and now the whole year is taken up.
Jim
You forgot to add heartburn to your cycle!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Jim
You forgot to add heartburn to your cycle!
Na, I have learned that they only thing to worry about are the things that you can change and if you can't do anything about it why worry yourself to death about it?

My biggest worry is that I might draw out for a couple of hunts that run during the same time frame, then I would have to make a real decision.

Reactions: kidoggy

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Na, I have learned that they only thing to worry about are the things that you can change and if you can't do anything about it why worry yourself to death about it?

My biggest worry is that I might draw out for a couple of hunts that run during the same time frame, then I would have to make a real decision.

YEAH, this is my biggest concern. the odds arent really likely but it always seems to be on my mind?

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio

The studies claim hunting is dwindling (even though children & woman are gaining a little ground) but those that remain are more focused on western hunting than in the past.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What I have seen for hunter recruitment here in the west is that the states bend over backwards for the youth that put in for the hunts. They get early and long seasons with easy to draw tags. But then when that kid hits 18 they are thrown into the grownups pool of having a hard time drawing tags and only being able to hunt every few years, so they drop out of it. I know of a dozen kids that have dropped hunting completely and could care less about it because they can't draw a tag every year like they could when they first started.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
What I have seen for hunter recruitment here in the west is that the states bend over backwards for the youth that put in for the hunts. They get early and long seasons with easy to draw tags. But then when that kid hits 18 they are thrown into the grownups pool of having a hard time drawing tags and only being able to hunt every few years, so they drop out of it. I know of a dozen kids that have dropped hunting completely and could care less about it because they can't draw a tag every year like they could when they first started.
I think this is true for many adults who got in late as well. Those numbers are probably buried under the other draw winners. Many guys are now taking their wives and children with them. This is great, but we lose the number of men who simply dropped out or used their points and left. Sorta can't blame them.
Also, I've taken a few folks west, but they all complained it's such a hassle since its tough to plan... especially so far in advance and their are so many unknowns. It's not for everyone. Bad part was I was doing most of the research, planning, phone calling, e-scouting, etc. and they still opted out of doing so. Good news most of them sucked anyway so it made my job of cutting them easy. :coffee: Sounds harsh, but some of them are good friends. But good friends don't always make great hunt partners as some of you can attest to.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Think about it a little and it is easy to understand. On the elk draw it could take 3 preference points to draw a general tag. I know there is some pretty good general elk hunts, but to draw a limited quota hunt not in a wilderness area you are looking at 12 to 15 points needed. If you are new to the game and a quick look at the thousands in front of you. It don't take long to figure it out. I know I plan to do one general elk hunt in my life. Not even considering a limited quota area. Almost the same for deer and antelope. I sure would like to draw that elk 100, but that is just a pipe dream. I am almost to the point of trying an over the counter CO elk hunt or lottery NM tag. At least as they say I got a chance.

Reactions: sigpros

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I think this is true for many adults who got in late as well. Those numbers are probably buried under the other draw winners. Many guys are now taking their wives and children with them. This is great, but we lose the number of men who simply dropped out or used their points and left. Sorta can't blame them.
Also, I've taken a few folks west, but they all complained it's such a hassle since its tough to plan... especially so far in advance and their are so many unknowns. It's not for everyone. Bad part was I was doing most of the research, planning, phone calling, e-scouting, etc. and they still opted out of doing so. Good news most of them sucked anyway so it made my job of cutting them easy. :coffee: Sounds harsh, but some of them are good friends. But good friends don't always make great hunt partners as some of you can attest to.
I can relate as I too have all but given up on taking people out west. For instance, my dad and my father-in-law complained the entire time I had him in Montana this year. I basically sacrificed my entire hunt to help try and get them their deer and all they did was bitch the entire time...lol

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Just for information: I hunt hard, no area is to far, I will not gripe or quit on you, and I will even help you pack out you game while still holding a tag.
Heck this year I even gave my buddy my rifle to shoot a mule deer buck I chose to pass on. He did not have his rifle because we were after antelope and he had filled his antelope tag.

Reactions: dan maule

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've sent more than one person home with more than their fill, LOL!
Got 2 friends that I can take hunting and they'll pull their own weight, get on animals themselves, otherwise I feel more like a guide. Unfortunately they're NR so I don't get to hunt with them as much as I'd like.
If I'm going to do most the work I'd rather take a first time hunter.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I can relate as I too have all but given up on taking people out west. For instance, my dad and my father-in-law complained the entire time I had him in Montana this year. I basically sacrificed my entire hunt to help try and get them their deer and all they did was bitch the entire time...lol
hopefully now that you’re all home they will look back on that trip with fond memories as one of those once in a lifetime opportunities. I remember you discussing this prior to the hunt. I really hope it worked out for everybody even with the grumbling during the actual hunt.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I've sent more than one person home with more than their fill, LOL!
Got 2 friends that I can take hunting and they'll pull their own weight, get on animals themselves, otherwise I feel more like a guide. Unfortunately they're NR so I don't get to hunt with them as much as I'd like.
If I'm going to do most the work I'd rather take a first time hunter.
I actually had one guy tell me that I was not doing enough for him even though I was doing everything.
It was just the fact he was cold and had not sighted in his rifle. He told me I was his guide and he was just there to have fun. I had held my tongue until then but I did set him straight as nicely as I could so as preserve the remainder of my hunt. He decided to stay at camp the following day but 100 every other day after that. I will admit it was below zero but I was no worse off than he. And who travels two thousand miles without sightng in a rifle? Seriously!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A lot of people just go for the party.

We had a gent that was all excited years ago hearing about our javelina hunts down in Arizona. So that year he put in for a tag with us.

He drew the tag and as the season got closer he was asking all kinds of questions about how we hunted them and what he needed to bring. When I told him that it involved a lot of hiking he thought that I was kidding. He asked a couple of the others that were going to go down and they told him the same thing. When it came time to pack up and leave he backed out even after having the tag in his hand. He thought that it was going to be a 9 day party with a little bit of hunting thrown in.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
A lot of people just go for the party.

We had a gent that was all excited years ago hearing about our javelina hunts down in Arizona. So that year he put in for a tag with us.

He drew the tag and as the season got closer he was asking all kinds of questions about how we hunted them and what he needed to bring. When I told him that it involved a lot of hiking he thought that I was kidding. He asked a couple of the others that were going to go down and they told him the same thing. When it came time to pack up and leave he backed out even after having the tag in his hand. He thought that it was going to be a 9 day party with a little bit of hunting thrown in.

I had a close relative show up literally with 4 30 packs of beer for a 3 1/2 day antelope hunt... he hasn't been invited back

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
It's that time of year. What I need you guys to do is figure out what elk Wyoming unit I should put in for. I'm a non resident with 10 preference points. I also need you guys to find me a 350 inch bull no more than 1/4 mile from a road. Please setup trail cams in the area and provide pics of all bulls. If I kill a bull and you help me with the pack out I'll give you a tenderloin. Thanks.