Alliant RL26 Powder

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Once again there is a shortage on this powder as well as many others.
I’ve searched the World Wide Web high and low with no luck.
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some RL 26?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
With the riots going on loading supplies are in very short supply along with loaded ammo.

I have learned through a number of Democrat administrations to buy it when you can and if you have a load that you like buy powder by the jug and buy more when you get half way through it. I also purchase primers 10,000 at a time. It sounds like overkill but if you shoot a lot they don't last very long. Bullets are another thing to try and buy a lot of at once or build up a supply of them as you can.

The last time that I got caught short I had notifications set up on every online store that carried the powder that I wanted. One day they sent me a email and before I even got onto the site they were sold out. After that I made up a file of bookmarks of those businesses and would check them each morning before I even had my coffee. Finally one day I saw what I wanted was in stock and ordered it. I got the email around 4 hours later that they had it so I went back in and checked, yep, they were sold out again but I had my 8 lbs on its way to me.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I agree with your logic. I’ll be making changes. However I really need RL26 ASAP.
If anyone knows where I might find it please let me know. Often times it’s some of those little mom and pop - hole in the wall shops that has a small supply.

memtb

Once again there is a shortage on this powder as well as many others.
I’ve searched the World Wide Web high and low with no luck.
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some RL 26?
Really sorry to hear of many people having difficulty purchasing components. I hope that everyone will learn from this, when and if the supplies return......never allow themselves without again. For 30+ years I’ve been very slowly accumulating components. I’ve made a concerted effort to be sure that I’ll always have components....I have zero faith in our destiny as a nation. A few years ago I bought an 8# RL 26, it will probably take the place of RL 22 in my wife’s .338 WM......if it’s not too slow! If it’s to slow for that application, it’s supposed to work good in the 6.5-284. It will certainly work in something....even if it’s not the best powder for the application!

Good Luck, I hope that you can locate some! memtb

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I found a perhaps for you, put it cost more than it should, I'll keep looking

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Jim is correct. When I find what I need, I buy a lot more than I really need. The last time I bought primers (about 5 years ago), 10 of us got together and bought 500,000 primers. I'm still using them. The last time I bought shot, I bought #500 of it. I do shoot a lot , so I use a lot of reloading components.

Just sayin...........

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I found a perhaps for you, put it cost more than it should, I'll keep looking

SOLD OUT

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Bonecollector, I just saw a post on 24hrcampfire ( from 4 hours ago), that Natchez Shooters Supply has plenty! Hopefully True!! memtb
ORDER PLACE!! THANK YOU.
I usually keep my inventory well stocked. But this year I’ve done a little more shooting and with the entire Covid BS and unable to get out to stores my inventory levels got away from me. I will be doing a full assessment and creating watchlist to get things back to where they need to be. Not in bad shape but extremely low on RL 26 with a hunt coming up
Thanks again guys!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I hired a couple guys to help me move all of my stuff out of the house a few weeks back.

We moved a pile of stull and they asked what else there was to move. I smirked and told them they could move those two crates over in the corner out onto the trailer. The guys went over to it and tried to lift it and turned around and asked me if the box was bolted to the floor. Then they said "What is this!?"

I said "its lead and you guys may think your strong but your not going to pick that up by hand in this lifetime...." lol

Them "What are you going to do with that much lead?"

Me: " Its my insurance policy... "

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Guys remember one thing, reloading supplies don't usually go bad or deteriorate over time, when stored properly. I store mine in a place that doesn't get too hot or too cold and is dry. I have some military surplus powder (4895) that is pre 1950 that is still good and I use it in my 30-06 loads. Stock up and store it right.

The only problems I have had is with some pre WWII military surplus ammo years ago that had mercury in the primers. It is pretty corrosive and really will ruin a barrel if not cleaned properly. Not much of it around anymore. I have also had problems with old .22 rimfire ammo. Lots of duds. Also shotgun shells that have gotten wet, same problem.

memtb

I hired a couple guys to help me move all of my stuff out of the house a few weeks back.

We moved a pile of stull and they asked what else there was to move. I smirked and told them they could move those two crates over in the corner out onto the trailer. The guys went over to it and tried to lift it and turned around and asked me if the box was bolted to the floor. Then they said "What is this!?"

I said "its lead and you guys may think your strong but your not going to pick that up by hand in this lifetime...." lol

Them "What are you going to do with that much lead?"

Me: " Its my insurance policy... "
I totally understand.....I have about 900 + pounds of wheel weights out in the pole barn! Memtb

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I too have had a pile of Duds with .22 LR ammo over the years. Especially the ones I leave in my truck gun. I change them out about once every couple weeks at a minimum.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
.22 rimfire has been a problem for a few years. I shoot in an indoor Bulls Eye pistol league every winter. I buy premium target .22 rimfire ammo that costs a bunch compared to regular .22 ammo. I get duds in it too, more with Remington that anything else. I shoot Ely & Aguila, whichever I can get.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
MINNI MAGS in my 1911 and they go bad. I was SUPER suprised when 3 or 4 out of a 10 round mag didnt goo off after sitting in my truck for a couple months....

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I just found one exception to stocking up.
When you buy a new house (like I just did this morning) and you’re moving yourself (like I’m about to begin) ... don’t stock up !!!!
Just have 2 or 3 rounds in your pocket and that’s enough !!!
Oh my there’s a lot a heavy stuff in my gun vault ...

• Haha
Reactions: Bonecollector

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The 300$ I paid those guys to help me move was the best 300$ I have spent in a while.....just saying. Only needed them for 6 hours for the heavy and awkward stuff. But we got it done.

Reactions: Winchester

memtb

I’ve been fortunate with 22’s stored for long periods. About 2005 (give or take a year), we “burned-up” 2 or 3 bricks of long rifles ( one brick was Winchester Wildcats, another was inexpensive Remingtons) purchased in the late ‘70’s/early ‘80’s. We may behave had a misfire......but, I can’t recall any! These cartridges spent the first 8 or 10 years of their life in the high humidity of South Louisiana prior to their move to Wyoming in ‘85! Maybe I’m just lucky! Should I go by a lottery ticket? :unsure: memtb