Mule deer broadhead

getoutthere

Jul 8, 2020
I'm sure there's been a thread on this before, but I couldn't find it. I'm a beginner archery hunter and I'm going to hunt mule deer this fall and I'm not sure what broadhead to use, fixed or expandable, and what have you guys been using. Or should I just go to my local archery shop and get what he recommends? Also he sells 340 grain arrows is that a good weight for mule deer?

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Check your states regs some place don't allow expandable and weight on arrows verys depending on draw length , shaft , and what arrow

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would go to your archery shop to make sure you are shooting the correct spine of arrow for your draw weight and length. Here is a link that can help explain what this means- https://eastonarchery.com/2014/07/making-sense-of-arrow-spine/

Both expandables and fixed will work great for mule deer. I personally like expandables as they tend to fly like a field point practice tip so you eliminate a bit of extra work tuning your broadhead arrow flight. Here is a link explaining that - https://shootingtime.com/archery/broadhead-tuning-compound-bow/

As you practice and prepare, feel free to ask questions. There are a lot of great people on here willing to help.

Reactions: Bonecollector

getoutthere

Jul 8, 2020
I'm shooting beman ICS Hunter classic 340. Can't remember for sure what draw length he set me at 29 or 29.5 I think

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
I shoot the same arrow and length at 66lbs, with 125gn head. As far as heads ive shot a bunch and you’ll get a hundred opinions. I am a cut on contact guy, but might shoot a hybrid if it flys well. Always shoot your broadhead to make sure your good.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Rage Trypans have worked well for me. I throw them on my 550gr FMJ's, and I've never not got a full pass thru on a muley, elk, or whitetail. But no matter the route, there isn't a wrong one. Practice to make the perfect shot and doesn't matter what you use, just be confident and accurate with whatever set up you choose and that will lead to more success than what broadhead you use.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I use sevr 125 gr the 1.5”. I used the Ulmer edge before that and they both were a hammer if placed right. Here is what it did to my 2019 mule deer. I would recommend them.

I like the set screw for practice mode and shoot broad heads w the set screw in from about here til the season. Let’s you dial them in real well.

48F4F3BE-4E05-46A7-9CAF-933553A8C709.jpeg

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
There a lot of good choices available. I like the 125 grain Magnus Buzzcut. Pick a good head and tune your bow to shoot them well, and you'll be good to go!

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Post up your draw length, draw weight, what bow, and I'll have a better idea what to recommend! Tons of options.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Diamond infinite edge pro 63 lb draw weight 29 or 29 1/2 draw length can't remember for sure.
Ok You should be ok with 340 or 400 spine arrows. 340 is not the actually weight of the arrow but is how the stiffness of the arrow is measured. You're fine with any broadhead choice for deer sized game and smaller but would stick to a good fixed blade head for elk, like a Viper Trick, Ironwill, or even Magnus. For deer, try a hybrid like a gravedigger, evolution outdoors, or the Grim Reaper Pro Series Micro Hybrid. Let the archery shop sell you the right arrows, they should tune your arrows in your bow for you. Be more picky on the broadheads.