Elk draw

bearplott

Oct 27, 2015
Wausau
We have a deposit with them. We got a letter yesterday from them that says we didn’t draw and that we can get it back or rebook for next year. They don’t know they applied us for the wrong tag yet. One of the other guys is calling them today.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Me not knowing here but is it customary for a guide to apply for peoples tags? Or was this part of the deal?

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Me not knowing here but is it customary for a guide to apply for peoples tags? Or was this part of the deal?
Very common.

Outfitters apply "parties" together to utilize points of the combined group.

They offer discounted hunts to high point holders so that they can increase the likelihood of a high paying client drawing more often.

...and that's the tip of the iceberg.

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
Very common.

Outfitters apply "parties" together to utilize points of the combined group.

They offer discounted hunts to high point holders so that they can increase the likelihood of a high paying client drawing more often.

...and that's the tip of the iceberg.
Interesting and thankful I do my own applying. Not sure what to think about my points enhancing the opportunity of others who haven't "paid" their dues in the points game. Members of my own party/group is one thing, but a complete stranger ... I'm out.

Reactions: Winchester

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
No reason what so ever to have someone apply you in a party you're not familiar with, or in this case the wrong draw. It's your account and takes all of 60 seconds to log in and see what you've been applied for.

Reactions: archbull

bearplott

Oct 27, 2015
Wausau
All the members of our group are friends. We were not grouped together by the outfitter. We booked with them 3-4 years ago and they had been handling applying for our points yearly. We have since found out it was not a mistake on their part and they they purposefully applied us in the regular draw. No apology was offered. They thought we would draw, but point creep got us. I can only assume they intended to just pocket the difference in the license cost. Bad on me for not checking I guess, but when you pay the kind of money these guys are getting, and they charge you for the special draw, I guess I didn't think it was necessary. Lesson learned the hard way!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I thought it said regular on mine but perhaps someone else can chime in on this. I tossed my tag a few months back.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
All the members of our group are friends. We were not grouped together by the outfitter. We booked with them 3-4 years ago and they had been handling applying for our points yearly. We have since found out it was not a mistake on their part and they they purposefully applied us in the regular draw. No apology was offered. They thought we would draw, but point creep got us. I can only assume they intended to just pocket the difference in the license cost. Bad on me for not checking I guess, but when you pay the kind of money these guys are getting, and they charge you for the special draw, I guess I didn't think it was necessary. Lesson learned the hard way!
Even in last years draw you would have only had 50% odds with 4.5 PP. Not a case of point creep getting you but rather being mislead by the outfitter. I can only think of a couple of scenarios on why;

1- outfitter thought there would be fewer applicants with Covid-19 and really thought you would draw (and he could pocket the money)
2- outfitter was potentially overbooked for the upcoming season so he "moved" you guys to next season.
3- outfitter just plain isn't good at the drawing

In any event, I would take some time to consider your course of action. Good luck and sorry you aren't getting to hunt elk.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I would contact the WY Outfitters Association. Also did you have written contract stating he would apply your party for the special draw?

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The invoice we received is for the price of the draw and it says Wyoming Special Nonresident Elk License.
That's just wrong! In my opinion that is either unethical or incompetent. I would not be very happy. I am sorry you have to deal with this, I am sure it's like a kick in the balls.