Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I own a SMR. It’s not this one but a Paladin in 300 win mag. Extremely accurate, smooth action and a pleasure to shoot.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
yep... try $5500 to be exact.I was able to get all the same components, so the same gun and it came out at $3200 total cost. 2 month faster production time. New rifle shoots .25 moa 😃😃
Cloud 9.
a Snowy mountain? or another brand? custom??

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Saw the video of the review. Rifle does shoot....but it better for that much $$$$! I was surprised at the velocity of the round tested, quite a bit less than 3000 fps. I get over 3,000 on my handloads for both my 25-06 & .300 Wby (and less than moa). Sure like to know the various amounts of drop at the ranges he was shooting. He didn't say what range the zero was at and no pictures of the 100 yard target.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Saw the video of the review. Rifle does shoot....but it better for that much $$$$! I was surprised at the velocity of the round tested, quite a bit less than 3000 fps. I get over 3,000 on my handloads for both my 25-06 & .300 Wby (and less than moa). Sure like to know the various amounts of drop at the ranges he was shooting. He didn't say what range the zero was at and no pictures of the 100 yard target.
Mine is under 3000 too. It’s real. Everyone wants high velocity but drop is just ballistics. High velocity means shorter barrel life and more recoil, which usually means less accuracy.
bad combo in my opinion:)
Here’s my data. Terminal performance at 1250 yards. In my opinion of course 😁
E7A5EFBC-1307-411F-86CF-596070A56501.png

• Wow
Reactions: mallardsx2

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Mine is under 3000 too. It’s real. Everyone wants high velocity but drop is just ballistics. High velocity means shorter barrel life and more recoil, which usually means less accuracy.
bad combo in my opinion:)

I don't agree with several of your conclusions. High velocity does not necessarily mean shorter barrel life. New materials used in barrel construction and better burning powders have mitigated a lot of the previous problems with barrel life. My off the shelf M77 Ruger (25-06) made in the early 70's is still shooting sub moa groups after 1000's of rounds shot thru it. I only shoot my own reloads that chrono at just over 3100 fps with a 117 gr bullet.

Recoil is not necessarily a result of velocity. My experience is that it is more related to bullet weight. The heavier the bullet, the heavier the recoil. I have shot heavier bullets with the same amount of propellant as lighter bullets and the recoil increase as the bullet weight increases. Your rifle has a muzzle brake on it, so you really don't feel the actual recoil produced. My 300 Wby has a brake on it and felt recoil with the 180 grain loads I used, has felt recoil less than my 25-06.

Accuracy, while affected by recoil, is more the result of rifle, stock & optics design along with matching the correct ammunition with the combination.

Just my experience from 60 years of shooting and reloading.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
MONTANA,

Something doesn't add up here. What caliber and grain bullet weight are you shooting to get those kind of foot pounds at 700 yards?

I guess I didn't see the details. 6.5X47 Lapua with 140 grain bullets? Or are we talking a 30-378 with 165 grain bullets....which may be believable but its going a hell of a lot faster than 3000 FPS at the end of the tube...

Comparing what you have to my 300 WSM it appears to flat out stomp my gun by 908 and 698 for each of my bullet weights at 700 yards......... Which, to be honest, is hard to believe.

150.JPG
180.JPG

Last edited:

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
colorado cowboy
I believe muzzle velocity equaled flat trajectory before range finders and turret scopes.
Today, you are not worried about muzzle velocity, but more of the bc of the bullet. Than you just have the app tell you the drop and dial your turret. yes you still have to have minimum speeds and ft lbs, but i think you understand what i am getting at.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
MV still does, nothing has changed in my loads. Flat shooting delivering lots of energy at bullet impact. I have ballistic turrets on all my rifles done by Leupold to match my loads. Don't need any app, just my range finder and dial turret to distanced ranged. All of my loads do 3/4 or less moa out to 500 yards, that's my maximum range that I shoot.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
CC,

Ya got me beat, I get too excited to even shoot 500 yards. I might be better served hunting close in with a 30-30 or some buckshot. lol

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Just for giggles and grins;
One of the three loads I have developed for my seven mag. This is the berger 168 grain VLD. It’s the slowest load but obviously do to bullet weight and BC is carrying the most energy down range. However my favorite load is the Barnes 145 grain LRX. The energy down range is only slightly reduced but it’s traveling 200 ft./s faster with a very comparable BC.

Last edited: