6% non-resident draw tags

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I notice that NM states they allow 6% non-resident draw tags. I think this is a little deceiving the way they split up the units with up to 3 seasons. If there are 5 or less tags you have no chance to draw a tag. It is apparent many do not understand this with the number of 1st choice in units they have no chance of drawing a tag. To NM's credit they do explain this in their draw information. I think I have found a way to beat the system. We will seeo_O.

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
It's way harder for NRs to get pronghorn tags now. If your system works I'll pay you $5 for it.

I'm curious to see if the unlimited quota for private lands will have a negative impact on pronghorn hunting in the state.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
With the new tag rounding rule, NR can not draw any unit with less than 13 tags. Previous year's draw odds are useless to predict pronghorn odds.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Im really thinking about pulling out of nm. Really hate it because it was the first western state I ever applied in and the first western state that I ever had success in. Love hunting it but as they keep taking tags away and giving the tags to the welfare tag system, the investment combined with a tiny nr diy quota and miniscule draw odds may succeed in driving me away. but …I doubt it

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
Dude, I'm from New Mexico, and I gotta say I'm glad that the system changed. There for a while the only way I could get a tag was to attach my draw application to my out of state nephews.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Dude, I'm from New Mexico, and I gotta say I'm glad that the system changed. There for a while the only way I could get a tag was to attach my draw application to my out of state nephews.
So, as a resident of a state that has 84% of available tags allocated to residents, the only way you could draw a tag was to party with a non resident that is limited to no more than 6% of the available tags? Interesting.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
That was before the 6% rule. Because the state wanted non resident money. $90 < $548 resident vs non resident for example. Non residents had a better chance of drawing.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
Forgive me. I'm basing this on personal experience where I spent 14 years trying to get a deer tag, and the year I put in with my nephew I drew out.

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Give NM residents 100% of the quota and the good units are still going to be very difficult to draw. NM is just blind luck because it's a random draw, but there are less desirable hunts that are more easily drawn every year.

I've been looking at draw odds for almost 20 years and NM resident odds barely increased after they adjusted the quotas in 2012.

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
Probably, nevertheless the 6% rule benefits me since I am a resident so I hope you understand that I support it. Nothing personal.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
As a resident I would be hoping the private owners are in tune with game management instead of quick profit. Unlimited tags have never been a good thing for land not properly managed. One bad egg can run things for miles around.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
We're seeing a trend towards limiting tags and hunting opportunities for non-resident hunters. I see it up here in Alaska too.

I personally think that states should absolutely protect the resident citizens but there has to be some reasonableness in it. I don't know if the 90/10 split is best but I sure think that 94/6 is out of balance.

I hope to be able to hunt other states, and because I do, I generally welcome non-residents here. Anyone on this forum who has asked me to help them come up here to hunt would probably tell you that.

Those who just want to slam the door shut on non-residents, or restrict them excessively, should stay in their state to hunt and not expect to be very welcome in any other state they may someday wish to hunt. That way they can carry the financial burden of wildlife management all by themselves. Alaskans' too.

Reactions: gonhunting247

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
Oh I don't mind if non residents hunt here. I just want dibs. And now I exit this conversation for more educated chaps to talk.

Reactions: AKaviator

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Oh I don't mind if non residents hunt here. I just want dibs. And now I exit this conversation for more educated chaps to talk.
I'm not more educated for sure. Please stick around, you're perspective and views are always welcome. I hope I didn't come off to you as otherwise. My apologies if I did.

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
Not at all I just know that when it comes to hunting I have about a 6th grade education compared to say your bachelor's degree ...metaphorically speaking.

Reactions: AKaviator

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Our legislators here in Oklahoma are going in exactly the opposite direction as I saw proposed bills yesterday that would lower nr hunting licenses and tags on all except deer elk and bear. We already allow a nr to take 6 deer with a bow for 300$, less than one little forkie in a second tier nm unit. We also welcome Texans, I mean, non residents with the lovely gift of even, straight up odds on our draw hunts. Non rez are in no way limited on percentages or odds or otc hunts. I in no way want to exclude non rez from hunting here but they r catered to at the detriment of the natives and I am bludgeoned like hell when I try to pay for my UPFRONT fees in New Mexico and decades of non refundable licenses in Az. Now I know how the boys in bama felt when we used to go down to Chatom and pop ten little ole deer for 110$ on a 5 day non rez platter deal. There is even a bill being heard that would ban Dept of Wildlife employees and their families from hunting any lands owned or managed by ODWC. Talk about a big difference between NM and OK. I thought I was going to get burned at the stake when I mentioned it would be awesome if Non rez could get a big ole bite of that 6% pie on the unit 4 New Mexico state wildlife areas. In ok we keep our own off the WMAs so there room for non rez to enjoy our deep red state. Sorry for the early morning rant but I was trying to scrape together my 900$ to apply for NM elk when I read the bills I just spoke of that will be debated at the capitol this session.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Wow, I should come hunt Oklahoma!! States need to always put their residents first, just give non-residents a reasonable chance.

Reactions: Winchester