Class

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
These are the same "hunters" who shot a deer at 550+ yards. We all know shoots like this are as rare as hitting the lottery here in the Appalachian country where the terrain just doesn't allow it... Gezzz.

I ONCE took a guy western hunting who claimed to have shoot multiple deer at 400+ yards. Yep, simply hold on the top of it's back and fire. This particular guy did not own a range finder either. Once I shot my antelope at only 275 yards and walked out to retrieve, he looked back at the 2-track road and said I can't believe how far this is... I said that's nothing, you've shot lot's of deer over 400 back home! He never mentioned it again!
Yep, that's why I take what most people say with a grain of salt. I hate hearing supposed scores of whitetail bucks. The vast majority of people have no idea how the scoring system(s) even work. I usually figure on at least 25 inches less than what people think the score is and I may be a short on that. A 170" deer is truly a large deer, whitetail or muley. The mule deer posted above is a shooter for just about anyone, anywhere, except if you are hunting the Strip or Mexico.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I'd say 160-170. As someone pointed out the spread and G4's are good but not great. I would also say the forks are good not great. To me it looks like this is an older deer given his color, swayed back, and belly. Wouldn't think twice about shooting it.

What's the verdict on this great buck?

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
The buck I posted was hanging out w a buck I was hunting a few years ago. Went back and looked at my notes I put him in the 170+ class.. He was cool a high country rifle hunter got him. Not sure on exact score.

2nd buck I would put in the 150”-160” range and would pry put him in he notes as 150+ class. Good forks will help him.

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
I forgot all about this thread. I don't care what a buck really scores. I want to know what class means. Less say you call it a 120 class mule deer. What does class mean?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I forgot all about this thread. I don't care what a buck really scores. I want to know what class means. Less say you call it a 120 class mule deer. What does class mean?
I can speak for everyone, but if I say a buck is a 120 class deer it scores +/- 10" of 120"

Reactions: Hilltop

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
boone/crocket classification. what godeep said above. if it hasn't been scored yet, most just give what they believe is a ballpark guess.
seems pretty obvious to me.

Reactions: marcusvdk

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Ok Scott here is another much harder buck to put in a class... I have a video of this buck I will add. He is over 30” wide easy and still alive.

So what “class” is this guy?9AF909E1-B72B-4A0A-B60E-D592C6BE9F24.jpeg

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
kind of a unique buck. I am gonna guess … 160 ish . maybe as much as 170 but I don't think so.

decent mass , great width . pretty tall but forks are gonna hurt his score.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
that's why I went lower.
don't always succeed but I always try to judge on the lower side . no ground shrinkage that way.

I would not hesitate for an instant to shoot that buck.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy