Rethinking Deer Gun

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
What bullets are you using in the 30/06? Try going lighter, 150 grain or even 130 grain. Being a handloader allows you a lot more flexibility than those who shoot factory loads.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Dan, that is the exact rifle that I recently passed on to my grandson. It was my go-to deer rifle for a number of years, and always did the job, plus several antelope does out to 200 yards. My grandson is only 120# and not likely to get bigger at age 21, so this rifle was a great fit for him. I would search the internet gun outlets, local gun stores, and especially the gun shows for that DM model. I only go to one large gun show once a year, and it amazes me what pops up sometimes.
It is a great gun! I have been searching gun brokers and Cablela's gun library every couple weeks. I originally purchased the same rifle in 280 rem and really liked it. When the kids got old enough to hunt I started looking for one in 7mm-08. Finally while we were on our way home from a family trip to Yellowstone I stopped at the Cablela's in Billings Mt and spotted one on the used gun rack from across the store. I purchased the gun and it became one of my son's rifle. He absolutely loves the gun but when his sister became old enough to hunt she got the 7mm-08 and he moved up to the 280. I don't know why they stopped making it, it is a very well balanced handy rifle. Your grandson is going to love it.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
You have tons of options and of course you could just buy another rifle. That o6 with partitions will kill anything that walks.
1. Why not install a muzzle brake on your o6?? It will then recoil like a 243
2. Shoot 100grn partitions in the 243
3. Buy a new rifle with a brake on it

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Will see how those 95 gr SSTs or 95 gr partitions work in 243 and stop shooting 300# class Animals with it.

Also could drop the velocity on the 3006. My 150s are about 2900, might be able to dial em back.

I'm not real big on the muzzle brakes. I'm a hearing aid wearer of 45 years and those things hurt my ears something horrible. I leave when the guys show up and start shooting guns w brakes on em.

Was trying to shop 7mm08 rifles and seeing that some manufacturers like Browning xbolt don't manufacture that variety any more. BPS has the xbolt long range for 900 Thanksgiving weekend. Only issue is that it is 6.5 creed only.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Go with the Partitions and forget the SST's in the .243. I've seen numerous failures with that Hornady SST bullet. IMO they perform like an early Nosler ballistic tip.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have shot several deer with the 25-06 and a lot more with the 243. With good bullets placed well they work very well. I use them now mostly on antlerless hunts when I can take my time and pick broadside shots. Even at 250 to 350 yards they do very well. I've had good luck with Sierra Gamekings and Nosler Accubonds in both. The Accubonds are tougher and penetrate deeper, they are hard to beat. The Sierra's fly great and put deer down fast with a good hit. Somewhat surprisingly I have seen better penetration a lot of times with the 85gr Sierra HPBT from the 243 than the 100gr Gameking softpoint from either. In the 25-06 the 100gr Swift Sirocco 2 intrigues me. It is a tough bullet with a great BC for a 100gr 25 cal. I tend to shoot Sierras more in these rifles because I bought a lot of factory seconds and use them for varmints and predators as well as game.

I tend to lean toward other rifles for buck hunts. I like a bullet of around 140 grains with a high BC and SD that penetrates well and bucks wind great. I want to have confidence in taking shot angles that might not be perfect, and breaking shoulders when necessary. I've used the 270 and 270 WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 win mag (with 180gr bullets), and my favorite the 264 win mag. I am currently trading for a 6.5 Creedmoor to see how I like the 6.5 diameter in a shorter, handier rifle with less velocity.

For your deer gun I'd ask if you plan to shoot longer range and dial elevation with your scope. If the answer is yes I would probably go with a 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, or 7mm-08. You can get a bullet like the 140gr Accubond that will do a great job on deer. In my 6.5 Creed I will first try the 143gr ELD-X. I don't expect it to be as tough as the Accubond, but I'm not sure at 6.5 Creedmoor speeds it will need to be.

One thing to keep in mind, the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't benefit much from a long barrel from all the tests I have seen. I went with a Browning Hells Canyon Speed when I got mine ordered due to the 22" barrel on that model. I don't think you gain a lot with more barrel, I'd really prefer a 20". That rifle had the best combo of features I personally wanted.

If you don't plan to dial elevation the 25-06 is really hard to beat with a tough bullet. The 110gr Accubond or 100gr Sirocco would be my top picks if I was planning to use a 25-06 as my primary deer rifle. I've seen that 110 Accubond hold up well to a shoulder of a big buck at 80 yards started at over 3400fps from a 257 Weatherby. I think the Sirocco is at least as tough. Those can be pushed hard enough to be really flat shooting out past 300 yards making wind and elevation corrections easier.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Go with the Partitions and forget the SST's in the .243. I've seen numerous failures with that Hornady SST bullet. IMO they perform like an early Nosler ballistic tip.
On heavy game I have as well. However on deer size game, I have yet to see a failure. Out of our youth 243 we are up to 13 deer and all have been very quick, ethical kills. I will say that none were marginal hits though. I work very hard with my boys on shot placement and I have them practice a lot and then limit to their effective range. Here is an exit wound from this past weekend. This was an adult doe mule deer shot at 210 yards. The bullet broke ribs going in and going out. She made it about 15 yards after the shot.

Attachments

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I picked up some 95 gr SSTs - all I could get local in premium ammo anyway. Will shoot a whitetail buck with them in about a month and see how it works.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Getting tired of shooting 30-06 - I shoot 243 a lot better and ultimately shot my muley this year with the 243. What I didn't like was the buck shrugging off a high shoulder shot - 100 gr Federal blue box soft point at 215 yards. Upon cleaning him, there was a pencil-punch hole in the shoulder and some shock evidence but it should have leveled him. 30-06 (165 partitions loaded at 2800 fps) would have blown out both shoulders, thrown him to the ground, and kicked him when he was down. Big diff between the 2 calibers.

So, guess I'm getting soft in my old age. 243 is good enough for antelope and the small southern deer we have around here but I'd rather have more damage with the shot. 30-06 is gonna get some safe time waiting for a late season elk hunt somewhere in the future.

Between the 243 and 30-06 are calibers like 25-06, 7mm-08, 260, 6.5 creed, 7x57, and I know not what. These guns run 12-15 pounds recoil, 243 has 10 pound recoil, my 30-06 home loads are likely over 20#. 308 is questionable - over 15 pound recoil with 150s.

Do I scale back on the 30-06 loads and shoot em slower? Load up 243s with more velocity, better lead? Get another cartridge/rifle?
It is a tough choice....so many good calibers to choose from. The 6.5 Creedmoor is tough to beat for most North American big game and it has very little recoil. I do love my .30-06 though. I love having one gun that can do it all and the -06 is it. I don't reach out and touch things from a long distance so it works fine for me and everything I hunt. Shooting Hornady's Custom Lite loads reduces recoil substantially and work great for deer-sized critters and smaller. My son saved up his lawn mowing money when he was 13 and shot those rounds out of his self-purchased .30-06. He shot it great and it helped him build confidence with the rifle he will probably use until he is an old man.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Put a muzzle brake on your 30-06 and keep using it. OR... speed up those 243 loads and shoot a softer bullet but keep it behind the shoulder... Hornady ELD-X or Berger will both be deadly! The 6.5 Creed is a great hunting round inside of 400 yards, I like the performance to recoil ratio very much but the 7mm-08 is better... lots of options.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
.280 REM or .280 AI; use a 140 gr pill the rifle likes and that you have confidence in.

On 2nd thought, after referring to this:

Scratch the .280 REM, it has ~ the same recoil as the ought-six.

.280 AI, 7mm-08, 260 REM worth a look.
What Prerylyon said! The 280 Rem if you want to stay tradition or the 280 AI.. I have one of each. The AI can literally do everything and you can load them down or put a break on your gun if you're not liking the recoil. I have a Kimber Subalpine in 280 AI shooting a 154 grain interbond at 3050 fps. It also has a break so it weighs 8 lbs ready to hunt and kicks like a 7mm-08!

Reactions: Prerylyon

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
This next suggestion is going a little bit in the wrong direction for recoil; still stand by the .280 AI idea, but man, this rig will wring out a lot of performance from about the same recoil as your 06; with the right loading and practice, this would give a guy some honest reach:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Rich,
Lot of good input already here. Couple comments to add.

1) Comparing those blue box Federals to the Partition i think is like apples and oranges.
2) Now a days i think there is some confusion with just how some of the bullets on the market are supposed to perform.

I look at it like this and am partial to Nosler offerings.

Partition is like Thors hammer. Medium to good accuracy. Hits like a Mack truck. Good all around light skin to heavy skin. Medium to big game with a size bullet to match. 70% weight retention mushroom.

Accubond is a modern version of the Partition. Same weight retention. Little better Aero Dynamics.

No reason to change from a Partition to Accubond....unless your weapon shoots it better.

Lastly the Ballistic Tips. They fragment apart and destroy things. I dont like em cause id rather have steaks to eat over grind/burger.

I use the above example because nearly all ammo companies have nearly the identical line up.

Unless u want a new gun and wanna spend the money......no reason to scrap the 30-06. You have endless options with the amount of powder you could vary. From 140 up to 180gr bullets that can cover all North American game.

Now all that said. Ive been shooting a REM700 30-06 for ever. Kid shot his moose this year with it ( 180gr Accubond at 365yards) and anchored the animal. Diddnt go 30 yards. But as i get older i want a lighter gun to carry around. Im most likley going to get a 28 Nosler /6lb rifle from some where. So i get it. We always want something new.😀

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I can second what Slugz said about Ballistic Tips.
I've been shooting 165gr Ballistic Tips for many years in my Dads pre-64 model 70 Winchester because that's the bullet it shoots the best … and I think bullet placement is probably the most important factor so I want the rifle to be as accurate as possible.
That bullet really does fragment and destroy things, which translates to less steaks but very dead animals.
I've killed a number of elk with it (including the bull in my avatar at 440 yards) and a big Alaskan moose with one shot that dropped it in it's tracks.
So a 30-06 with a bullet that it shoots well is a pretty good weapon.
But that old rifle is heavy so now I also have a new, light weight, .28 Nosler that is a real tack-driver and also kills stuff very well.
So stick with your 30-06 or get something cool and new … either way will work so you can't really go wrong. ;)

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I like the 270wsm a lot. with that said, I have killed 3 bucks in the last 2 season with a 6.5 creedmor. I have been impressed with the 6.5 creedmor. no kick and kills deer. would not be my elk choice, but deer, very effective.

Reactions: mcseal2

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
A lot of good suggestions thus far.
However, you could incorporate some front delt and upper chest exercises into your workouts and 'own' that recoil. 🤣
Also, not sure how often you shoot, but the more you shoot, the easier it becomes to learn to absorb and not fear the recoil. A 30-06 should not 'kick' much unless it loaded very hot and extremely light.
But we all like getting new guns!

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Lot's of hunters use a 243 for deer and do pretty well. I am not one of those but like anything we shoot at, it comes down to Bullet Placement. I typically have shot a 30-06 for Deer, Antelope and Elk, but at times have used a 270 and a 7mm STW as well for deer and antelope. The Two deer that I have shot with the 7mm STW basically didn't take another step. One was running broadside to me and as the bullet hit him behind the shoulder, it looked like he ran into a wall and dropped to the ground on impact.

I have always had some interest in the 257 and 25-06 calibers as well, but have not looked into them as of yet. I know of a few friends that shoot these calibers and love them.

If you can place your bullet of choice in the vital area of game, you will be fine.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Great stuff guys!

I'm gonna shoot some more this coming weekend. Rezero guns from 300 yd to 200 yd zeros.

Have 2 boxes of SST s for the 243. Will center some 150 core locts for the 3006. (No need to use 165 partitions for the less than 200# bucks we get where I hunt.)

Think I put 350 round thru 3006 this year prepping for the trip. Maybe 50 thru 243.

Will see how the SSTworks on a southern whitetail before doing anything else. Supposed to hunt end of December...