What no hunter wants to see

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Public lands are just that-and depending on the specific state-it can get very busy. It is a bummer to see pressure when you try hard to get back in some place.

Its hard to know what all is the gig there, but I'd put my $ on a father-son deal. The one dude looks like a teenage kid to me?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Yep I hauled a Javelina over my shoulders for a long way.
No shower for days.Waitress in restaurant on the way
home was kinda stand-offish... 🔥
I just carry a length of para cord and have a walking stick made out of a yuca flower stem. I just tie the feet up onto the stick and pack them out like a suitcase. I did think about throwing one over my shoulder one time but thought better of it.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I just carry a length of para cord and have a walking stick made out of a yuca flower stem. I just tie the feet up onto the stick and pack them out like a suitcase. I did think about throwing one over my shoulder one time but thought better of it.
Yea the next one I got I velcro tied his legs together and carried him like a Pig purse over my shoulder. 🔥

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I thought some of our seasoned hunters would pick up on a few things. The woodsmanship was for sure in question with these guys.
First they came by about 20 minutes after first light caring guns in soft cases. They were spraying what I assume was doe pee about every 50 yards. They went on down the trail about another 3/4 mile from the sound of the first shot. This trail does a L shape at about that 3/4 mile from where I was. The second shot came about 200 yards from my stand( how do I know they shot twice. There were two holes in the deer). About 40 minutes after the second shot. The older guy comes back up the trail caring both guns in cases and their gear headed back to the vehicle. I figure he is going to get a deer cart. After another 30 minutes he comes trotting almost a jog back. The only thing he has is a rope. The reason I question their woodsmanship is they were with in 200 yards of the trail. They must have dragged the deer away from the vehicle about 3/4 a mile to get back to the trail. I figure they drug the deer an extra mile and a half. To top it all off once they got to the truck they field dress the deer there.
And some asked if they saw me in the stand. They did not see me or my son that was about 100 yards from me. Now I really got a kick out of this. While under my stand they stopped to take a rest. The Dad I assume says this to the son. "I am sure glad it wasn't a bigger deer. Well um I wish it would have been bigger, but that would be a lot more work".
Hats off to them for tagging a buck. You have to learn. Some just catch on a little faster.

Reactions: bowman340

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are a lot of things that could be going on. Novice hunters who didn't know the area. I know a number of hunters that wait until they get back to their vehicle to clean the animal, they heard somewhere that it keeps dirt and debris from getting on the meat. I just as soon as get rid of that extra weight.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
After hunting out west I learned real quick. If I can't eat it or hang it on the wall I am not toting it.
I'm always looking for that 'booner', but I'm hanging that $$-tag on something the last day of the hunt. I'm there to have a good time as well as hunt. I'm actually pickier in my home state, but I need to bring something back to feed the family after dropping that kinda coin.... hopefully it's a big one. However days 8-10 my expectations start to decline.
Don't get me wrong, if I don't fill the tag, I still have a good time. Thus far my success rate is extremely high and on good animals to boot so I've not had to worry about that. Maybe I'm just lucky... no that's not it. lol
I work my butt off year around to enjoy these trips.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I thought some of our seasoned hunters would pick up on a few things. The woodsmanship was for sure in question with these guys.
First they came by about 20 minutes after first light caring guns in soft cases. They were spraying what I assume was doe pee about every 50 yards. They went on down the trail about another 3/4 mile from the sound of the first shot. This trail does a L shape at about that 3/4 mile from where I was. The second shot came about 200 yards from my stand( how do I know they shot twice. There were two holes in the deer). About 40 minutes after the second shot. The older guy comes back up the trail caring both guns in cases and their gear headed back to the vehicle. I figure he is going to get a deer cart. After another 30 minutes he comes trotting almost a jog back. The only thing he has is a rope. The reason I question their woodsmanship is they were with in 200 yards of the trail. They must have dragged the deer away from the vehicle about 3/4 a mile to get back to the trail. I figure they drug the deer an extra mile and a half. To top it all off once they got to the truck they field dress the deer there.
And some asked if they saw me in the stand. They did not see me or my son that was about 100 yards from me. Now I really got a kick out of this. While under my stand they stopped to take a rest. The Dad I assume says this to the son. "I am sure glad it wasn't a bigger deer. Well um I wish it would have been bigger, but that would be a lot more work".
Hats off to them for tagging a buck. You have to learn. Some just catch on a little faster.
Almost 20 years ago on opening day of deer season in the sunlight basin around 10 a.m. from my glassing spot I watch an older husband and wife dragging 2 deer, they were all of a mile still from the road.
I abounded my plans an went and packed out their deer because they really didn't know what the heck they were doing, and honestly I was afraid they'd have a stroke before they got those deer to the road. They never would have learned how to do it the easy way if someone wasn't willing to show them. They tried giving me money, gear, beer, food, to which I happily declined. They were tickled to death that I took time out of opening day to help them out. Not everyone is a seasoned pro that knows all the tricks, we all had to learn somehow, and most of us didn't learn from a public shaming on an internet forum.