Fall Waterfowl Pics

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've seen well over a thousand geese going south out my east window the last couple days in Cheyenne, the fields in CO must be getting full! Good luck on Moose then Goose!

Reactions: Slugz

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
Beautiful widgeon you got there. Almost better than shooting greenheads. Hopefully the hunting is picking up south. Not much left in nd

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
CC a drake pintail would look good on the wall too. Been awhile since i shot a nice pinny. Also hard to beat a good barred up belly

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
A really pretty Wigeon might be my favorite looking duck. Good to eat, fun to decoy, and beautiful, the total package!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My Dad owned a duck club in Imperial Valley in California for 60 years (my Uncle & cousins still own and operate it). I hunted waterfowl since I was 8 or 9 years old......70 years! I still go back and hunt with them every year. I think the easiest ducks to decoy are Spoonies and Widgeon. The hardest and most wary are Sprig (Pintail). I like to eat teal and Mallards. I remember being in a bind with my Grandfather and calling in a flight (about 15 to 20) Spoonies and each of us getting a triple (that's 3 apiece in 3 shots apiece). They were fighting a pretty good wind and just seemed to hang there, 25 yards or so away.

Biggest problem I always had was finding different ways to cook them. My wife used to say (You didn't bring any more duck breasts home did you? We still have some from your last trip.)

Reactions: gonhunting247

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My Dad owned a duck club in Imperial Valley in California for 60 years (my Uncle & cousins still own and operate it). I hunted waterfowl since I was 8 or 9 years old......70 years! I still go back and hunt with them every year. I think the easiest ducks to decoy are Spoonies and Widgeon. The hardest and most wary are Sprig (Pintail). I like to eat teal and Mallards. I remember being in a bind with my Grandfather and calling in a flight (about 15 to 20) Spoonies and each of us getting a triple (that's 3 apiece in 3 shots apiece). They were fighting a pretty good wind and just seemed to hang there, 25 yards or so away.

Biggest problem I always had was finding different ways to cook them. My wife used to say (You didn't bring any more duck breasts home did you? We still have some from your last trip.)
Just got the kill report for my Dad's old duck club in California. As of last Sunday they bagged: 475 ducks & 86 geese.
87 Sprig 5 Mallards 9 Widgeon 21 Shovelers 292 Greenwing Teal 47 Cinnamon Teal 1 Blue Wing Teal
3 Redheads 2 Ringneck Ducks 46 Snow Geese 4 Ross Geese 22 White Fronted Geese 14 Canada Geese

They hunt weekends & Wednesdays and host 14 hunters of which 6 are owners (all my cousins). The club is 200 acres and has 4 ponds that are about 20 acres each. I used to own a share, but sold it to my cousins when I moved here to Colorado. I still hunt with them, usually once a year.

Reactions: Winchester

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Just got the kill report for my Dad's old duck club in California. As of last Sunday they bagged: 475 ducks & 86 geese.
87 Sprig 5 Mallards 9 Widgeon 21 Shovelers 292 Greenwing Teal 47 Cinnamon Teal 1 Blue Wing Teal
3 Redheads 2 Ringneck Ducks 46 Snow Geese 4 Ross Geese 22 White Fronted Geese 14 Canada Geese

They hunt weekends & Wednesdays and host 14 hunters of which 6 are owners (all my cousins). The club is 200 acres and has 4 ponds that are about 20 acres each. I used to own a share, but sold it to my cousins when I moved here to Colorado. I still hunt with them, usually once a year.
Sounds like a heck of a year!

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City

Thats

I would seriously advise you try making even your spoonies into pastrami, i made 5 more goose breasts into pastrami last week and had a spoonie so i through it in as well. Had a lond time duck hunter come over. told him to try the spoonie first , at first he didnt believe me but i took pictures. His response and i Quote=I want you to know thats the best duck/goose meat I've ever tasted bar none.

Attachments

Reactions: Hilltop and Slugz