Leaving In The AM

Silentstalker

Oct 26, 2013
Utah
Gorgeous buck! I was out in the book cliffs last weekend helping my friends Dad on his cow buffalo hunt. Saw a few elk. Nearly ran over a spike and cow in the dark one evening! Good luck on the spike hunt!

Reactions: hunter25

whitetail52

Oct 6, 2019
Well, after having some tag soup on the Colorado ML hunt I am headed to Utah for their deer ML hunt. I'll be hunting the Monroe Mountain unit hoping to find some of the nicer bucks that I have seen there. After that comes the Utah general elk hunt with my brother in law trying to find him a spike elk on the same unit. If no luck there we'll head to the Utah Book Cliffs and try our luck there.

Then to top it off he has a Colorado unit 21deer tag for the second season which I will try to be a good spotter for him.

It's going to be a full month of hunting starting Monday morning.

I'll try and check in but cell coverage is either spotty or nonexistent in the areas that we will be in.

Good Luck to all of you that are headed out.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just reporting in since I have some service

We found a unique white spike elk but naturally we were sitting in the wrong location for a shot and another hunter bagged him.

But today I bagged a couple of dusky grouse for dinner. We also found another herd of around 70 elk, my brother in law just needs to figure out if it is worth going after them. It's the pits with him being in his 80's with some medical issued.

I'll check in later

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
As of last night the spike hunt is off. As my brother in law was preparing dinner he must of figured that there was not enough meat in the stew and tried to cut two of his fingers off with a knife that I had just sharpened.

So now I am sitting at home trying to convince him that he needs a few stitches but he thinks that he is OK by just putting a good bandage on them. We'll see as the adventure continues.

But on a side note we did find another herd that hunters were leaving alone and we know where they were watering so if he wants go go back we might have a good chance at one but for now he can't grip the for-end of his rifle.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
As of last night the spike hunt is off. As my brother in law was preparing dinner he must of figured that there was not enough meat in the stew and tried to cut two of his fingers off with a knife that I had just sharpened.

So now I am sitting at home trying to convince him that he needs a few stitches but he thinks that he is OK by just putting a good bandage on them. We'll see as the adventure continues.

But on a side note we did find another herd that hunters were leaving alone and we know where they were watering so if he wants go go back we might have a good chance at one but for now he can't grip the for-end of his rifle.
Hope your BIL is ok...Then rub some dirt on it and get back in the game!
Walk it off,tough it out.Ha!,Ha! 🔥

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I saw a great sweatshirt a while ago that will make a great Christmas present for your Bro-in-Law, "It'll Buff Out". I thought I would buy one to put in reserve for my next major mishap. Happy hunting Jim.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Thanks everyone for the complements.

But now the saga continues.

My brother in law got some stitches and after sitting around a couple of days decided that he wanted a go at it. So back to the Book Cliffs we went. We had found another herd of around 60 elk with a number of spikes in it so we decided that we would try for one of them. We took a 10 mile drive tonight down into the canyon where they had been watering and got up into some ledges to watch and see if they would come into the pond before dark. Well just at 30 seconds before dark thirty here they came. At 5 seconds before dark thirty I looked and at a little over 400 yards was a spike. Yep, you guessed it no shot tonight. 10 very cold miles later here I am sitting in the camper drinking some coffee before bed.

We figure that they won't be back to the water for at least a day from the look of thing around the pond. They have a very good water source about 3 miles away down the canyon so we are hoping that they will follow their pattern and we can get back into them.

As they say hunting is 23 hours 59 minutes 55 seconds of nothing and 5 seconds of lots of excitement.

The saga continues.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Home again, home again lickity dig.

Well, after a couple more nights my brother in law decided to call off the elk hunt. Between being 79 and having to chase the elk where elk are at he decided that a hot shower, soft bed, and a warm house is better than what we were living in. So it was home to Gypsum this morning.

We will now concentrate on his deer hunt over in unit 21 that starts a week from today.

More to come.

Reactions: Bonecollector