2019 NW Colorado Archery Muzzleloader Report

turk870

Dec 22, 2012
tn
Congrats, been reading your updates daily, dreaming of first rifle to get here so I can head to the Mesa.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Elk day 12 recap.
So down the trail we go. Different trail, different plan, same drainage. I had the four youngest legs with me this am so i knew if i could find em, we could get to em. Out of camp we drop in. I knew the youngsters could hack it. 1400ft drop in one mile. Sure enough, about 3/4 mile down we hear the scream of a bull. Little further we hear him again. Wind and terrain are against us though as every time he cracks off we cant really determine which ridge or little drainage he is on or in. So we decide to fix the wind part first while the animals move down further we beat feet to parallel them, attempt to get in front of them, gain the wind and circle back at em. It works but we are a drainage/ridge off. Up and down one more time and its clear there is a medium size rut fest going on a ridgetop in the dark old growth timber. I dropped back, seperated from the boys and started to call. Up we went right into the bedroom with the wind in our face and screaming animals.

Reactions: Catahoula12

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Elk day 12.
The boys were sneaking in exactly as i would have so it was easy fo me to maintain angles and the correct wind. They were able to get 40 yards into the bedroom and set up together in a little foxhole of timber. My plan was to drag them down the ridge to me and it appeared to be working well. 2 bulls were in the timber working the cows and oit of no where a third from a ridge over grunts at me in frustration. Ok so another is coming to the party. Lost calf kicks out. Cow kicks out. Something is starting to move towards the boys. A single cow walks to 10-15 yards from and my son whispers " if you want to shoot her then go ahead" his buddy was already at full draw and he lets it rip. Good shot double lung. They are both super excited. The rut fest continues though and she just trots off and dies 65 yards away. 45 seconds later cow #2 walks in a little closer and the smoke pole goes off. All this time I have no idea the archery shot was taken when i hear the shot. The dang rut fest continues even after the shot as i suspect they thought it was falling timber. Now the new comer bull to the party was 200 yards away screaming at me. He trotted huffing and puffing and looked into the timber at the boys but they didnt move. I gave him a small mew and he spun and came right to me broadside at 20 yards. Nice mature 5x5 drooling and grunting. It was awesome.

He spooks and trots off and out comes the boys. One gives me a #2 with fingers and then a thumbs down. The other is wide eyed and mouth open not speaking.

So proud of them. My son is experienced the other boy this was his first elk and first archery kill. This was the second newbie to the elk woods my son helped to get an elk down. First day we got out one whole cow and tenderloins from cow #1. Today we got out the other 4 quarters and backstraps from cow #2. And.........we got into them again with one more archery either sex tag to fill...
😀 screaming again.

1998caxj

Sep 22, 2015
California via New Mexico
Big Congrats to you, your son, and the first timer. Thanks for the great write ups and pics of your adventure. I always enjoy reading them as a prelude to my trip to NW Colorado. I drew first season and am looking forward to setting up camp and having my daughter join me. Had her with me last year ( her first time) and it was a great trip. Thanks again Slugz!!

MIke J