2019 NW Colorado Archery Muzzleloader Report

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Big change of weather from last week. Good rain. 46 degrees here now. Did a little deer glassing tonight but the wind was just swirling like crazy. Will head down the trail in the am and chase some elk.

Reactions: archeranthony

1998caxj

Sep 22, 2015
California via New Mexico
Thank you again for the great progress reports and updates. It really sets the mood for those of us waiting to get there for our hunt.
JW Snacks has some good food, we stop in there at least twice every season. Best of luck Slugz, look forward to seeing some pics of your 2019 success.
Mike J.

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Put away the tshirts. Dont need to have them out to hunt in anymore this year. Headed in and since im by myself......that usually equates to me creating a logistical packout problem😀

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thank you again for the great progress reports and updates. It really sets the mood for those of us waiting to get there for our hunt.
JW Snacks has some good food, we stop in there at least twice every season. Best of luck Slugz, look forward to seeing some pics of your 2019 success.
Mike J.
Thanks Mike!!! Appreciate the kind words.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
0500 here and up for breakfast. Elk woods was quiet yesterday so I went ahead and created a logistical problem with this guy. The good kind of problem. Gotta get him into town and checked. Quite the story to go with it that ill have to post a little later. I got a buddy in camp with me last night and the neighbor camp has horses so hoping to get it done today. Took me all day yesterday to skin and quarter him. Roughly 2.5 miles from camp and 1200 ft down from camp.
Got an inch of hail and snow yesterday also to deal with so hoping it melts off quick.
20190911_110304.jpg
20190911_110254.jpg

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Elk day #7. Well as my previous post said " when left alone at camp, it usually results in a logistical packout problem"

Normal morning routine of up at 0430, coffee big hot breakfast and down the trail. It rained a few times since last week and the ground now was soft. Quiet sneeking through the woods compared to last week. I do my normal routine of down the main trail listening for a groaning bull getting out of bed. Sheep appear to be gone so im wondering how long till the elk work their way back into and further up the mountain. 1.9 miles in and i stop and get behind some small pines and knock an arrow. This is a traffic area they tend to move through at first light. Woods is quiet and i spend 25 some odd minutes there. I continue in further 10 steps at a time, stop listen look pause. Wash rinse repeat for another 1/2 mile when around a tree pops a big black blob.