ATV Thread

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a pile of nice, smooth river rocks that I am using for a landscaping project. The dump bed will sure make it easier moving them. I got a 3000# winch in the deal and it will be installed next week. My wife and I are already planning a couple of trips in the next couple of weeks.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
You may want to invest in a tilt bed off road trailer. Ours has been a life saver. the beds on UTVs are pretty high and when your on uneven ground it can make it really hard to get things in and out. The tilt bed makes it easy to just drag game into the trailer instead of horsing it into the bed of the utv.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Was at my local Polaris dealer yesterday looking at new UTVs. Noticed a really nice 2009 Yamaha Rhino that was a trade in. Worked a deal and it is now in my garage.

View attachment 18870View attachment 18871
I finished the 2017 scouting/hunting season and love the Yamaha. It will go anywhere my quads will go, just have to be careful with it being wider. The only complaints are it is noisier and gets less mileage. But man is it comfortable!

I bought a blade for it and will be using it to move snow this winter.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I finished the 2017 scouting/hunting season and love the Yamaha. It will go anywhere my quads will go, just have to be careful with it being wider. The only complaints are it is noisier and gets less mileage. But man is it comfortable!

I bought a blade for it and will be using it to move snow this winter.
I just got done plowing the driveway with my 2008 Rhino special edition. My SIL gave me the plow and I got a deal on the 4500# winch.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
It was 5 degrees outside this morning, but not too cold for a little ride. Took the 2013 Polaris 550 Browning Special Edition out for about an hour today...gotta love the heated grips.

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Got my boys four wheelers for Christmas. Hopefully keeps them outside and looking forward to heading out west with me someday!IMG_20171225_070256955.jpg

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Can Am is my choice. They have the ultimate suspension. The Can Am has the steering dialed. I liked Honda for farming but not for hunting. The ride is too rough. I have tried pretty much all of them having been a Yamaha, Kaw, and Honda dealer. Harder to make a bad choice now a days. Currently I am on Can Am

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
Can Am is my choice. They have the ultimate suspension. The Can Am has the steering dialed. I liked Honda for farming but not for hunting. The ride is too rough. I have tried pretty much all of them having been a Yamaha, Kaw, and Honda dealer. Harder to make a bad choice now a days. Currently I am on Can Am
I agree Can Am is my choice. I have 3 4-wheelers and a maverick and have never had a problem with any of them. The ride is smooth and comes with plenty of shock adjustment and the steering is great.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I looked at Can Am, Polaris, Honda and Yamaha...did tons of research on different forums on the web. My wife's Ex-husband loaned us his Yamaha Grizzly's and I was very impressed.

We didn't want to buy new, so scoured craigslist for months. For some reason there are a crap ton of Polaris in the area (eastern Nebraska / western Iowa), and not much of anything else. There were a few Can Am's, but most were heavily modified and/or beat to crap. And I didn't want anything bigger than 550.

Found my Polaris Browning LE 550 from a guy just a few miles from my house. 30 hours and less than 300 miles...got good deal. Found the wife a Polaris LE 550 (black with red accents), about 60 miles away, again with 30 hours and ~300 miles. It was mint. Probably paid too much for that ATV, but wife loves it. And now I have matching ATV's...makes maintenance easier.

The Polaris are bigger than the Griz, and seem to ride better. I really like the flip of a switch AWD system. Pulled them to Moab last spring...going back this April.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I retired my 6x6 Polaris Big Boss after 20 years of very heavy use. I replaced it with a Polaris mid-sized Ranger side by side. My wife loves it because it is like driving a car, and in 2 years we managed over 2.5K miles already. No problems at all, except that it does take more room on the trail.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I have a 2002 Suzuki King Quad. I have a few friends that have a 2002 and a 1997. They are indestructible. Mine weighs just under 600 pounds and for a 300cc Unit is bulit like a tank....and has never broken down since I bought it new. Independent suspension and liquid cooled..Their transmission is one of a kind. I have a few friends with Hondas as well. Both are very reliable.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3257.jpg

I even welded up these little trailers to haul all of our junk in. Worked pretty slick but I think I need to cur them down about 10" to lower the center of gravity and put some 4 wheeler tires on them....I have since added a treated wood bed to the back of the pioneer also.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I'm a honda guy here all the way. Maybe a little rougher ride but way more dependable.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm a honda guy here all the way. Maybe a little rougher ride but way more dependable.
I have found that with most ATV's or vehicles is that if you maintain them and fix what you just broke then they all are fairly reliable.

I had a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak that I have no idea of how many miles were on it when I sold it but it had gone through 4 sets of tire and was on it's fifth set when I sold it in 2017. That's 20 years of riding on it and I didn't baby it either but I did work it. I wished that I had all the deer and elk back that it had hauled out for me.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy