ATV Thread

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
JimP, that's got to be some kind of a record. But since I've started keeping mine on a Battery Tender, I've got one going on 10 years. Do you do anything special with your battery's?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Nothing special, I just ride it when I want to go for a ride. The last 13 or 14 winters that wheeler has seen snow plow service and of course I take it to Arizona every February but that's it.

I know, it has surprised me at how long it has lasted and even when it is a -20 when I go to plow it starts right up with it. I have been actually expecting it go dead on me any time now but it keeps going.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Small batteries like these are strange. My first one lasted 3 years or so, the next one 10 years and I just replaced it last fall before I went antelope hunting. I have a similar size and type battery in my Sears 60" riding mower. It is 14 years old and still going strong...go figure!

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I bought my 2005 Sportsman 500HO brand new and have used the hell out of it....never broke down. Still on the original belt, brakes and tires. I have replaced the battery...twice.
I totally agree. I'm really surprised to hear all the Polaris haters in this thread, Lol! I'm on my second one (owned a Yamaha prior) and I've had zero problems with either one. Almost everyone I know owns a Polaris including my dad, my father in law, about four different uncles and most of my friends! I can't remember any of them having any problems over the years. We started buying Polaris in the late 90's so there's some history there. Polaris seems to be king in Colorado, seems like they are the most popular on the trail. Others are good too, I'm not really a fan boy for Polaris and don't care what others choose to ride but feel like Polaris is getting an unwarranted bum rap!

robsev

Feb 23, 2011
Gillette, WY
I'm also a Polaris fan. Bought my Sportsman 500 new in 02. A couple of batteries, oil changes, and a pair of front tires is all the maintenance I've done on it. Push the crap out of the snow all winter. Last summer I broke down and bought a new RZR 900 trail. Keeping the Sportsman though.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I run an old school 2001 Honda 300 4x4, 5 speed auto clutch, solid rear axle, been bullet proof. Suspension is not the best. My brother runs 3 hondas on his place, the mid to to late 2000's automatic 500cc models, they are tough, but suspensions are a touch rough, but much better than my 01. My son in law has a 3 year old can am, it's like riding a magic carpet. Been a good quad so far for him, rides like a dream. I have an outfitter friend that swears by Polaris, they ride good too. About all I know about them.

If I needed a new one, I'd probably look for a Honda or Yamaha, with a more recently designed suspension, 300-400cc is plenty for me.
1999 was the last year of the 300 Fourtrax. The 350 rancher came out in 2000. I bought my 1999 300 in 2000 and its still going strong!!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
1999 was the last year of the 300 Fourtrax. The 350 rancher came out in 2000. I bought my 1999 300 in 2000 and its still going strong!!
Maybe I misremembered, but am pretty sure the year of manf. started with a 2, at least that is what the seller told me... It's been a great ride regardless. I'll actually have to check the serial number or title, you've got me wondering MM.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Its a 2000, I bought in 2001, or so says the title. Must be where I got the 01, been a while.

Looks a lot like this: http://www.atvsource.com/manufacturers/honda/2000/300_4x4.htm

Not sure it is a Fourtrax or not, but think it may be one. Could very well be they made 99's for two years at the end? Not sure. But I have seen some in great shape command a good price, 4k ish range. Some sort of cult following? No idea, but know these Honda's have a bullet proof reputation for sure. I've added a winch, a warn 4x4 select switch and recently got full floor boards to install.

Have you done any mods to yours? Sorry we are way off the OP...

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I have a Yamaha Kodiak, my buddy had the Polaris, my father-in-law and his buddy both have Honda big bears, and my father-in-law also has the Yamaha side-by-side. None of us in 15 years have had any problems with any of the machines. Except me replacing my battery three times because I occasionally forget to turn the key off! IMO it's just like boat motors, I own Yamaha my buddy owns mercury and truck makes, I have Chevy my father-in-law has ford. It's all in how you take care of them.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I got this this year and I will have to say I was impressed with it. I have since built a bed for it.
Honda Pioneer 500.
Narrow enough to go down the trails and pretty comfortable to ride.
IMG_3935.jpg

IDELKFVR

Dec 15, 2013
EMMETT,IDAHO
I ride the Yamaha grizzly 660 and have had zero problems all I have ever had is Yamaha. I like the fact I can take the grizzly 660 from two wheel drive to four wheel drive my last one was four wheel all the time makes it easier to steer. You cant go wrong with either Yamaha or Polaris and I think Honda makes a good bike also. I would stay away from artic cat I had a 90 for my kids when they were growing up and all did is fight that thing.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The only thing I know is a friend has a Honda Rancher 500 and it is 4wd all the time and it uses a lot more fuel than my Polaris. I would make sure what ever you buy has a selector for 4 wd.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I looked at Craig's List the other day and a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak popped up over in Montrose, Co. I called the guy and found out that he had bought 2 of them last year and could only afford one of them. So he was selling the one that he bought for his wife. I also found out that the repo man was about to knock on his door and haul it off.

I wend down there and checked it out and other than a small nick in a fender liner and it being the base model they was not anything wrong with it that I could see. I had him call the place that he had the loan at and find out the payoff and gave him a couple hundred more than what the payoff was. So in the long run I picked up a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 for $5200.

Granted it is the base model that comes with no doodads such as a odometer, brush guards for the CV joints and a few other things but for that price I can spend a few bucks and get what I want and put on it. The nice thing is that the base model is the same frame and body that the special edition (SE) is and all the SE parts will bolt right up to it.

Now if it would just stop snowing for a few days where I can get it out and play with it for a while. If not I'll have to wait until February 10 when I head down to Arizona for my javelina hunt to get to know it better. But right now and from the little that I have rode it I can tell that it is a machine to be reckoned with and once I get a few of the parts that I ordered for it bolted on it will make a great trail machine.

So for those of you here in Colorado or the surrounding states would you like to purchase a well used 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400? Even with what work that I know that needs to be done on it I'll make you a good price. As I think that I mentioned it has excessive blow by and I'm getting oil into the air intake box through the crank case vent tube but it does not burn oil, but with it blowing it out you do need to pay attention to the oil level.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Definitely a good price. The best quotes around here for that machine was $6400 back when I was seriously looking last year. Plenty of aftermarket skid plates and CV protectors.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Ya, the guy wanted almost the full purchase price and then I asked him what he owed once he told me that he was way behind in payments and expected it to be gone any day when he came home from work. He wasn't even trying to hide either one, they were just on the side of his house in full view of the road. The repo man wouldn't even of had to worked very hard to of gotten to it.

I ordered up the factory CV protectors, they were only $11 each for the front and just a little more for the rear.
I'll look at a metal skid plate later this year.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Well guys I am selling my Polaris 500 HO Sportsman(SOLD). It is a 2005 with 2000 miles on it. Has a Polaris waterproof forward rack hinged storage bin. Can be user as a ice chest. Also has a Warn Winch, gun case mount and Polaris storage cover. It is in great shape, never wrecked or damaged. Want $3,000. will accept offers. I'll post some pictures as soon as it quits raining.

I also have a 1995 Polaris 400 Sportsman. Has a winch also. It is a 2 stroke. In good shape too. Asking 1750.00. It is the one my wife is riding in my earlier post. Both of them can be seen in post #5.

I am buying a sidexside.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I second the Polaris. I too have a Sportsman 500 HO. I bought it new in 2005 and have never touched it except changing oil. I have about 1500 miles on it. I put a whole cow elk on the rear rack and my buddy sat on the front rack and off we went foe about 3 miles on a 2 track to get to the truck. I also have and older Polaris Sportsman 400 that my wife rides and also other friends when we hunt and they don't have a quad. Both have winches. I really like Polaris, they both have served me well.

View attachment 18342View attachment 18343

I thought I had some better pixs. My 500 has independent rear suspension, while the 400 does not. Big difference in quality of ride. My wife does complain some too. I am thinking about selling both of them and buying a sidexside, but just not sure.
Was at my local Polaris dealer yesterday looking at new UTVs. Noticed a really nice 2009 Yamaha Rhino that was a trade in. Worked a deal and it is now in my garage.

Yamaha Rhino  #1.jpgYamaha Rhino #2.jpg

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I made the move to a UTV a couple years ago, and already have 1,700 miles on it. I got a mid-sized Polaris Ranger, and my only complaint is that it is hard to get it away from my wife, and we had to widen some of our backwoods trails. They are a great work machine, as there is a real box that dumps instead of just a rack. The 4-stroke motors should last us older farts a lifetime. Good buy CC, I am sure you will appreciate the upgrade every time you get in/out without groaning.