Draw Odds: Do your own homework!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Here is a little advice. Recommend Colorado to anyone who asks where to hunt. I have been assured by the residents that Colorado is the best hunting opportunity for them, as well as NR's in all the West.
That's strange, I have been recommending Wyoming and Montana.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
When I started looking at hunting out West I wanted to hunt the blue chip areas. I spent about 5 years dreaming and applying to areas I had no to lottery chance of drawing. I then started researching the draw odds. I was shocked how foolish I had applied for several years. I wanted to hunt. I made my first hunt in 2017, returned to doe hunt 2018 with son, and will hunt again in 2020. I would prefer to hunt even if an average area or below than maybe hunt once in a lifetime.

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Maybe we should all get our stories straight and start recommending Canada. :)

I spend a lot time trying to figure out odds until I find I get a 0.00037% better odds by applying for A instead of B. It's a fun game.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
When I started looking at hunting out West I wanted to hunt the blue chip areas. I spent about 5 years dreaming and applying to areas I had no to lottery chance of drawing. I then started researching the draw odds. I was shocked how foolish I had applied for several years. I wanted to hunt. I made my first hunt in 2017, returned to doe hunt 2018 with son, and will hunt again in 2020. I would prefer to hunt even if an average area or below than maybe hunt once in a lifetime.
For many it is about just getting out there. With the opportunity that is available, it is possible to do just that just about every year for a variety of species. It is also possible to go just about every year and build points in some trophy units and then hunt those when it's time. Green Chip units as we have labeled them in the MRS often don't take max points and can be one heck of a hunt.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Too late to apply for those states . OTC Colorado is the way to go. The residents on this board told me how great the elk hunting on Colorado is.

Aren't you the one who recommended Steves outdoor adventures?? LOL.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
For many it is about just getting out there. With the opportunity that is available, it is possible to do just that just about every year for a variety of species. It is also possible to go just about every year and build points in some trophy units and then hunt those when it's time. Green Chip units as we have labeled them in the MRS often don't take max points and can be one heck of a hunt.
I even hunted a yellow chip a couple years ago and had a great time. :)

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Imagine the draw odds of the ?not so great units? if the people that are being made out to ?not knowing what they are doing? switched to the ?lesser? units? I am personally thankful that there are lots of people putting in for the Unit 9?s of AZ it makes more room for me to sneak into a lesser known unit.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yep! Spot on. Taking all the data in, keeping it at the strategic level vice in the weeds usually puts you in the woods every year. So much data out there that I think the big indicators get overlooked a lot.

Last edited:

wa-hunter

Apr 24, 2014
Imagine the draw odds of the ?not so great units? if the people that are being made out to ?not knowing what they are doing? switched to the ?lesser? units? I am personally thankful that there are lots of people putting in for the Unit 9?s of AZ it makes more room for me to sneak into a lesser known unit.
my thoughts exactly!!

Extractor

Jun 7, 2015
Appleton, Wisconsin
Thanks everyone for a lot of belly laughs reading this thread. I finally drew a Wyoming sheep tag after 20 years of applying, my son, who Iv'e been applying for 17 years thinks he is close. I told him it's a good thing your young because you're going to applying for a long time yet! My youngest son has 6 less points than me, I apply for a chance at a random draw, he'll never draw in his lifetime, just reality. But you sure aren't ever going to draw sitting on the sidelines. Besides, Fish and Game need the NR money.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Good advice UH, you are a wealth of knowledge. Sharing too much just cuts down on the curve and makes it harder. I have only been researching and applying for 5 years now and have only done 4 tags (4 MT gen and a WY pronghorn buck), and I still get a kick out of watching the MT forum on here when the gen draw happens. I don?t get how some guys make sense of some drawing 3-4 years in a row but they don?t draw two years in a row. I just figure let them keep on keepin on and I?ll continue to draw. Who to help and who notnto try and help is a conundrum.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I don?t mind helping via pm folks that are on here contributing and interacting on regular basis.
No one-post-wonders or guys who been members for 8 years with 3 posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don?t mind helping via pm folks that are on here contributing and interacting on regular basis.
No one-post-wonders or guys who been members for 8 years with 3 posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me 2! [emoji106]

General ideas/info are ok in the open posts, but with the limited tags and growing applicant nonres pools, anyone is at their own risk of what they post openly perhaps driving more people to their honeyhole. I use the same logic my dad taught me for divulging fishing holes!

And, to be fair, 3 yrs ago when I started on here, I probably was more loose in my research. I've learned over time...[emoji44]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
There's so many resources online now that I consider it being helpful if you point them towards that. You can lead a horse to water...

:)

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I'm like alot of you guys when it comes to draw odds and doing research. I get every book or magazine out, look at game and fish websites, past odds lists. My living room looks like im studying for a college final or some crap. i have a 5 person couch and have all of it strung all over and only 1 spot for me to sit and read this forum. LOL. I don't mind helping some people, i have had help with units and information on areas i have drawn from a few of you on here and it's always appreciated. On another note, i have seen some big and sometimes record book animals come from green and yellow chip areas. What really makes me laugh is i see a guy keep putting in for the very best units and has to wait years for, then when he draws it, they end up shooting an animal that is no better than what they could have gotten in a green or yellow chip area, and probably hunted it 3 different times in the same amount of time it took them to draw the blue chip area. Don't get me wrong, i put in for a few blue chip areas in hopes, but i also have a couple green and yellow chip honey holes i fall back on when the draw gods let me down as usual!