Kifaru Woodman

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Was wondering if to carry quarters...I see it has a integrated meat shelf

After the first load back to camp can I take the pack off and use the soft panel or cargo to transport meat only ?

I'm headed to the show room to check them out in January.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Is there a reason you are choosing the Woodsman? It looks like you are limited to 3,000 or 4,000 cu bags and don't have any place for quick access to clothes, equip, etc. I guess you can likely add them on if needed but that ups the price. If it were me and I was doing much backpack hunting and packing game I would likely want something a little larger....but that's just me! A lot really depends upon your needs and style of hunting. I would advise it is always better to have a little larger bag than one that is too small! Your Kifaru frame will be capable of 100+ lb loads no matter what bag you are using. It is always nice to have the load in a larger bag next to your back rather than packing meat on a shelf with gear sticking way out from your body! Your back, legs, and rest of your body will thank you!

I have the EMR II and Timberline bags. The Timberline is smaller and ok for smaller loads. I really like the outside pockets. The "go-to" bag I use almost exclusively is the EMRII. It is almost overwhelming as far as size but is relatively light and compact when unloaded and cinched to the frame. I can haul and incredible amount of bulk. I've used and abused it on numerous Alaska sheep, goat, moose, elk, bear, etc hunts. I've loaded it with capes (some lifesized) plus meat plus camp. It also works great for loading turkey decoys plus tom. You can always cinch bags tight but if you don't have a large enough bag you are somewhat screwed.

I have never been a fan of hauling loose meat on the outside of a frame. I bone all my animals for less weight and bulk...it usually saves me 1 or 2 trips this way! It's always nice to secure the meat inside the pack and cinching the load super tight and to the frame. If you are worried about a little blood you can always put the capes/meat inside game bags or garbage bags.

If you are pinched for cash there are a few options. You can likely find a EMRII or other bag that is almost new for the same price as a Woodsman if you are patient and willing to search for a deal. I bought my kifaru frame, 2 bags, guide lid, etc almost new from the Rokslide classified section and also Craigslist/Ebay for more than 1/2 the price of new.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Is there a reason you are choosing the Woodsman? It looks like you are limited to 3,000 or 4,000 cu bags and don't have any place for quick access to clothes, equip, etc. I guess you can likely add them on if needed but that ups the price. If it were me and I was doing much backpack hunting and packing game I would likely want something a little larger....but that's just me! A lot really depends upon your needs and style of hunting. I would advise it is always better to have a little larger bag than one that is too small! Your Kifaru frame will be capable of 100+ lb loads no matter what bag you are using. It is always nice to have the load in a larger bag next to your back rather than packing meat on a shelf with gear sticking way out from your body! Your back, legs, and rest of your body will thank you!

I have the EMR II and Timberline bags. The Timberline is smaller and ok for smaller loads. I really like the outside pockets. The "go-to" bag I use almost exclusively is the EMRII. It is almost overwhelming as far as size but is relatively light and compact when unloaded and cinched to the frame. I can haul and incredible amount of bulk. I've used and abused it on numerous Alaska sheep, goat, moose, elk, bear, etc hunts. I've loaded it with capes (some lifesized) plus meat plus camp. It also works great for loading turkey decoys plus tom. You can always cinch bags tight but if you don't have a large enough bag you are somewhat screwed.

I have never been a fan of hauling loose meat on the outside of a frame. I bone all my animals for less weight and bulk...it usually saves me 1 or 2 trips this way! It's always nice to secure the meat inside the pack and cinching the load super tight and to the frame. If you are worried about a little blood you can always put the capes/meat inside game bags or garbage bags.

If you are pinched for cash there are a few options. You can likely find a EMRII or other bag that is almost new for the same price as a Woodsman if you are patient and willing to search for a deal. I bought my kifaru frame, 2 bags, guide lid, etc almost new from the Rokslide classified section and also Craigslist/Ebay for more than 1/2 the price of new.
Yeah going into this my primary deciding factors were.
1) 1 to 2 day hunts out of base camp
2) Meat shelf to easily get the first quarter out then drop the back and go back with just the frame ( + cargo net)
3) Ability to strap on addition space for a 3-5 day hunt out of base camp.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Made it to Wheat Ridge to try some on and put my hands on the product.

Initial impression was I couldn't believe how comfortable....the lower lumbar pad/bump is different and sits great. I don't know what makes it different.....I'm guessing angle of pull and size / positioning.

I'll most likely be looking for a 4000CI bag then a guide lid 1200CI.....so far I'm leaning towards the Woodsman.

Fatrascal

Apr 5, 2013
Spring Creek, Nevada
Personally I like the Woodsman. It only weighs 2 pounds and has more cubic inch capacity than some of the other Kifaru packs that have less cubic inch capacity but weighs more such as the 22 mag. And with a meat shelf combined with a guide lid and a grab it you increase the capacity. With that being said I still prefer the Reckoning over the Woodsman due to the added spotting scope pockets. But I've been eyeballing that Woodsman wondering if I could make it work for me. :D Fatrascal.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I did a lot of research and tried a lot of different bags, but the reckoning was the one that was perfect for me. Light, expandable, meat shelf, and only 2 needed pockets. The two-way zipper is a big plus is well. I've got two six day hunts in mine and couldn't be happier with my decision.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I bought a Reckoning just in case I need to pack in somewhere for several days. It is too big for me to use as my primary hunting pack. I just got (as in last night) a Woodsman to use for day hunts and the occasional overnighter. It is quite a bit smaller than the Reckoning. I think it is going to be perfect for its intended purpose and it is what I am taking to Wyoming for moose this fall.

dru.bishop73

Jul 17, 2017
I have the reckoning and I love it. BUT, I think I will be adding the woodsman next year. When I'm day hunting, it's just a hair too much pack. That's being a bit nitpicky. It's pretty great, but it's a little better for multi-night trips. If you are doing primarily Day hunts, then the woodsman is Money.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I just tried the Woodsman/Guide Lid/Stone Glacier load cell combination out on a backpacking trip with my wife and daughter. This was its first test and it worked great. I had to swap some connectors around for convenience and I might swap some more as I get more use out of the pack. I can fit a lot more between the bag and frame than I did on this trip.

684EE387-DB4F-41C1-A6AA-B963F207F948.jpg

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Slugz, I’m sure my spouse will be getting a Kifaru next season....luckily my pack is much to large for her. Lol.
Muskeg, organizer guide lid, belt pouches!!!!!!

My son just pulled some and reset other trail cams. His feed back was " it didn't feel like I had a pack on at all"
He commented about the lumbar pad seeming to be big at first sight but once properly adjusted was the best he felt.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Muskeg, organizer guide lid, belt pouches!!!!!!

My son just pulled some and reset other trail cams. His feed back was " it didn't feel like I had a pack on at all"
He commented about the lumbar pad seeming to be big at first sight but once properly adjusted was the best he felt.
I have a Kifaru pack, not the Woodman, but that has been my experience as well. Even with heavy loads it is very comfortable. Enjoy the pack!!

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I recently got to run around Wyoming for six days with the Woodsman on my back. It worked fine as a day pack and it worked great with a couple of fairly heavy loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk