Training collars

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
What are you guys using?

I?ve had many Sportdog training collars but they seem to only last a year or two. I picked up the Garmin last year and just added a second collar so I can keep a collar on both at the same time. It always seems like the one that doesn?t have a collar I?m always looking for them and yelling at them instead of just pushing the tone button to get their attention.

So far I?m very impressed with the system.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I use Sportdog and have had the same one for 3 years. I don't use it all the time. Usually I have it with me and only use it when my Lab gets too independent. Once I put it on her, she changes really fast. I usually only use the vibration mode, but have used the shock mode in 1 or 2 position.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
SportDOG ProHunter 2525

I believe in extreme force when breaking a dog from running deer so I use this one. Get the point across once and your problem normally goes away. Breaking dogs from chasing deer is #1 for me and Normally I dont have to use it a second time on a dog. The beep tone is what I use it for primarily. I really hate having to shock a dog. I never did like it. And I take no pleasure in it when I have to do it. I know its painful.

I ALWAYS test a collar before I put it on my dog and I can only hold this collar to number 4 .

When you get to number 9 its intense.

I watched a drunk guy put it on his leg once and shock himself and I swear his toe touched his forehead. Top 3 funniest things I have ever seen. Never seen a grown man kick that high. He said the back of his leg hurt for 3 months. lol

I hit myself by accident with #9 once in the kitchen and almost accidentally threw the collar through the wall and yes, it hurt like hell.

BTW....the drunk guy had it on number 9.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have an old Sport Dog, can't remember the model. My lab at the time didn't want to behave and ran every time we went on a walk. Well...on solid zap and she was a brand new animal.

My new lab is about at the phase where he can handle it so I am going to start using it here soon.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I use Sportdog and have had the same one for 3 years. I don't use it all the time. Usually I have it with me and only use it when my Lab gets too independent. Once I put it on her, she changes really fast. I usually only use the vibration mode, but have used the shock mode in 1 or 2 position.
Yeah, my lab is like that CC. Smart dogs. I only had to shock him a couple of times (which I hated doing).
Now he knows what to do and I rarely put the collar on him.
If he gets "too independent" and I put the collar back on he self corrects his behavior, no shocking required.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I?ve had many Sportdog training collars but they seem to only last a year or two.
What do you mean by this? They break or stop functioning or what? I've used mine for several years. The rechargeable batteries only seem to last a couple years but I just go buy a new battery pack from batteries plus. Kind of expensive but cheaper than a new collar!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I made a "dummy" collar to put on a previous Lab I had. I took a regular collar made out of nylon, made a block of wood the same size as the module on the electronic collar and attached it with a couple of bolts. Put the threaded end with the nut on it inside the collar. Used long bolts that I rounded off so they simulated the electrodes. Worked great, she always thought the electronic collar was on because it felt the same.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I forgot to mention, mine is a "Dogtra" brand.
Nothing fancy but I've had it for almost 6 years and it still works fine.
Ace tends to be a little bit of knucklehead and Crash Bandicoot all wrapped up into one. I am interested to see how long he will keep one working.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
SportDOG ProHunter 2525
I watched a drunk guy put it on his leg once and shock himself and I swear his toe touched his forehead. Top 3 funniest things I have ever seen. Never seen a grown man kick that high. He said the back of his leg hurt for 3 months
Now this is funny! I'd have paid money to see that!