The Whitetail Success Thread

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
20171115_133649_001.jpg

For some reason I applied for whitetail buck this year. My whitetail tag felt like an anchor holding me back. I shot this buck mostly so I could help my brother mule deer hunt and bow hunt for muleys myself. It should be better meat than I'm used to eating.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
View attachment 20227

For some reason I applied for whitetail buck this year. My whitetail tag felt like an anchor holding me back. I shot this buck mostly so I could help my brother mule deer hunt and bow hunt for muleys myself. It should be better meat than I'm used to eating.
Turned out to be a pretty good anchor! :) Good looking buck.

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
My dad and I last week on National Forest in Virginia. Best outdoors moment of my life being with my dad to walk up on his best buck ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks guys. This was in the mountains, close to the West Virginia line. My dad has been hunting the area since the early 80?s. I kill my first buck there in 1997. Hunting is tough here, if you see one deer a day it?s a pretty good, but there are some old bucks since no one wants to hunt that hard. I had knee surgery last year and couldn?t hunt the mountain so I decided to dedicate a lot of time to it this year. I?ve had that big guy on trail camera since August, and was hoping all along that my dad would get him.

I left Dad at the bottom of the hollow before light and I climbed to the top. 45 minuets after daylight I heard a deer walking and that buck walked right in for an easy shot. 20 minuets later my dad shot. He killed that buck with the rifle he killed his first buck with in 1970, a Remington 722 257 Roberts. Dad waited for me track his buck, and when I saw his reaction to finding it, I had a small meltdown on the mountain.

Dad and I already had a hunt of a lifetime in Wyoming last month. This just made a season that may never be topped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ca_Vermonster

Apr 1, 2016
Posted the story below, but forgot to add it to the success thread. My son's (11 y.o.) first deer hunt, in Vermont youth season, with my Dad and I in the stand with him. 3 Generations making memories..... 3 pt, 142 lbs dressed weight. Got his first shipment of 3 lbs of jerky last night, and couldn't be happier..... ;) Oh, and funny story, that hat he is wearing is close to 50 years old, and is considered the "Lucky" hat. My Dad and I have both shot deer wearing that hat, and after my son didn't see anything the first sit, we told him he needed to wear the hat.....
IMG_6416.jpg

Last edited: