Dropped GPS - central CO

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Long shot, but I figure I would try.

You dropped your new GPS unit headed out on Sep 11th. You had just spoken to me while I was breaking camp. You said you had a kid in the hospital and had to hustle back. I was camped within line of sight of Kremmling CO.

Pm me and I'll ask you more details to confirm identity.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Try calling the GPS's manufactures customer service number and see if they can give you a name or something. If it is registered they might be able to help.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Try calling the GPS's manufactures customer service number and see if they can give you a name or something. If it is registered they might be able to help.
Thanks!

That actually totally worked. Just called in and they said the product is registered, they are going to send the owner and email with my information and he can contact me. Garmin Oregon 650 so about $500 worth of gear. Good reason to register all your high dollar field items!

May 16, 2015
Thanks!

That actually totally worked. Just called in and they said the product is registered, they are going to send the owner and email with my information and he can contact me. Garmin Oregon 650 so about $500 worth of gear. Good reason to register all your high dollar field items!
Sounds like a happy ending:)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I figured that it would help.

A few years ago I found a Garmin GPS that retailed then for around $750. I called Garmin and they had no record of it being registered. After a couple of months I called them again in hopes that the owner had contacted them but there was still nothing.
Garmin then sent me the accessory pack that went with it and told me to register it.

Fullfan

Aug 9, 2014
Nice work on your part, elk hunters are creatures of habit. Willing to bet he will be near next fall.

And for your actions, you have restored my hope for mankind, and for that I say thank you...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It may take a while for them to get back to you if they do. A lot of people change their emails quite often not to mention they will register if with a email that they don't check very often or the message goes into the spam box and they never look at that unless they are expecting a email about something.

Did you look at the GPS and see if they have a "home" way point in it or one listed as MOB? It would take some investigating but both of those could help in locating the owner.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
It may take a while for them to get back to you if they do. A lot of people change their emails quite often not to mention they will register if with a email that they don't check very often or the message goes into the spam box and they never look at that unless they are expecting a email about something.

Did you look at the GPS and see if they have a "home" way point in it or one listed as MOB? It would take some investigating but both of those could help in locating the owner.
That was the first thing I did. Only had 3 pictures in it and all the way points marked were in the area we were in....

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Owner found and he is a member on here. Will get it shipped out. The world gets really small with internet communities, ha.

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
Boiler it was me.

And my kid was fine and I knew it. He just went to urgent care for a high fever but being this was my first back packing hunt I had my arse handed to me and wasn't seeing anything and was pretty down on myself. So Ive come to turns with the fact that used that as an excuse to call it quits.

I ended up going back out but I learned a lot of what I did not know on this trip and a lot of that was about myself and Im already attacking those for next year.