Starting my training now

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
6'4" 278lbs today.

I've always been good about excersize; biking, basketball, weightlifting, some hiking, some kickboxing even some Yoga. At any given week I'm doing half of these. I need to nurse a shoulder and calf injury a little bit before I go Bannanas however.

Eating and drinking beer is my challange. I have done Paleo before and it works if u can stay on it. I need to count my calories and will be using a mobile app for that. Gotta reel back the late night snack. No more craft beers, need to cut back to the occasional Busch Light.

I'll check back every week or so with an update.

Meister of Toads

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I'm working on my weight as well. Dropped 15 pounds since this time last year and need to lose another 10 to be where I want to be at. Cheeseburgers, fries, Dr. Pepper, and peanut M&Ms kill me though! Best of luck to you and get those wounds fixed so they don't get worse!

Extrapale

Mar 18, 2014
Oregon
6'4" 278lbs today.

I've always been good about excersize; biking, basketball, weightlifting, some hiking, some kickboxing even some Yoga. At any given week I'm doing half of these. I need to nurse a shoulder and calf injury a little bit before I go Bannanas however.

Eating and drinking beer is my challange. I have done Paleo before and it works if u can stay on it. I need to count my calories and will be using a mobile app for that. Gotta reel back the late night snack. No more craft beers, need to cut back to the occasional Busch Light.

I'll check back every week or so with an update.

Meister of Toads

You can do this. I was in a similar situation a few years back. 6'6" 270+ pre diabetic and blood disease. I also had a history of working out, but eating badly. My doctor provided the wake call, but it took a visit to a dietician to make it work. She helped me plan a diet I could stick to for life. I dropped 65 pounds, and for the most part have kept it off.

You can do this.

raadland

Nov 20, 2015
Galt Ca.
Good for you and I look forward to reading about your progress! I am 6-4 265 and I will be 235 (my fighting weight) come October of 2016. One thing I learned at nearly 10500 feet elevation in Colorado this year is that you need to be lean and mean to chase those elk around.

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Good luck can't wait to hear about your success! Also starting a exercise and diet program myself, I injured my knee this hunting season and figure since I have to do physical therapy for the knee I should jump start a good program for the rest of my body!

hoshour

Veteran member
Count me in.

MJ, I also injured my knee (tore my meniscus) but I'm going to tough it out for a year before I have it scoped. Call me crazy, but I save $7,000 by waiting (my portion of the surgery cost vs. 100% coverage a year from now). It stays a little sore but doesn't keep me from activity.

That's because I'm changing my Blue Cross insurance ($1,600/month for a $5,000 deductible and 70/30 coverage) to a medical sharing program that won't cover pre-existing conditions for a year. It will save me over $1,000 a month with 100% coverage.

Last edited:

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
"You can't out train poor nutrition". That statement becomes more and more true the older we get.

Good luck and stay at it!

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Count me in.

MJ, I also injured my knee (tore my meniscus) but I'm going to tough it out for a year before I have it scoped. Call me crazy, but I save $7,000 by waiting (my portion of the surgery cost vs. 100% coverage a year from now). It stays a little sore but doesn't keep me from activity.

That's because I'm changing my Blue Cross insurance ($1,600/month for a $5,000 deductible and 70/30 coverage) to a medical sharing program that won't cover pre-existing conditions for a year. It will save me over $1,000 a month with 100% coverage.
Knee injuries suck! I have to be careful twisting wrong because I keep dislocating my knee. When I was younger they always would slip and go back in, painful but in a few days they would feel ok. I haven't slipped it in several years but I fell hard in the snow and the knee slipped and didn't go back in until the husband put it back in for me. That about sent me through the roof!

I do feel very fortunate that my dad has fantastic insurance, I have 3 more years before I get kicked off his plan, If I were to take up my own plan I might as well go to see a veterinarian for treatment because the benefits suck and it wont cover ****!

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Only lost 1lbd last week. Did really good M-F, the weekends I relaxed too much and enjoyed too much Beer-Cheese soup.

Got out for 2 really great hikes Monday and Friday with my backpack. Only had about 20lbs in it but it was a start. Monday was a flat trail, Friday was hiking hills. Also trying out some clothing to see what works in the weather.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Slow and easy wins the race toadmeister. It probably took you years to become the really big guy you are. If you can find a way to live every day with what you are doing, then you will likely add years to your life. ALL the really big guys I went to high school with are gone now, except for the couple who managed to change their lifestyle and get their weight down. You can't do much about your genetics, but you sure seem to have the right attitude for success in this endeavor.

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Lost 3 more lbs this week, down to 273.

Counting calories, moderate excersize, eating lots of venison for my proteins :)

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Toadmeister,
Slow and steady my friend. You are making progress. Even when the weight is not coming off as fast as you would like, you will notice a diff in how you feel. Awesome that you are making the commitment and staying the course.
~Bill

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Only 1lbd lost this week, down to 272. Was a tough week with early Christmas parties and treats.

Good news: Shoulder all better. Cortisone shot fixed that.
Bad news: Injured my calf again playing BBall. Worse than ever this time, felt like I was shot in the lower leg. Gotta nurse and rehab this thing. I'll be taking 2 weeks off of BBall at least now over Christmas break.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
toadmeister: It's a tough time of year to try and lose some weight. If you can keep from gaining any in the next week or two I would count it as good. At even one pound a week that gets you -52# by this time next year. I doubt that you want to lose that much though or you'll start looking like me. "Moochie", my fitness trainer at the FBI Academy had a mantra, "Small body, big engine."

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I'll second that. I would take a pound a week anytime lol. Last year I last about 20 pounds partly because of some motivation from threads on here, but I got it all back when I got busy and stopped eating right and stuff. Well keep it up. I will also try and get off my yoyo diet and no exercise routine.

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Rough week. Christmas Eve I went to Emergency for Kidney Stones! WOW, are those agony! Got some "happy" medicine and sat around for 2-3 days over Christmas with the family at home. Ate and drank reasonably but still put 1lbd back on so I'm up to 273 :(

Yesterday and today were the first days I felt good enough to get out and do anything. Got outdoors and hoofed it a bit, than this morning actually went out for late-season antler-less Muzzy in Iowa during a snow and sleet storm. I put a couple cross-country miles on for good exercise as the deer weren't moving.

This week going to be at an indoor water-park a few days, gotta watch the intake and will hopefully be very active with the kids during the day.

wildstreak

Nov 24, 2014
Kentucky
Is this not the problem that never goes away. It is just so hard to eat right and exercise but you have to find the time to do it. None of us got fat and shape overnight so don't expect to lose it all overnight either. It takes time and hard work. I use a phone app called "my fitness pal". I can input everything I eat and it calculates the calories. It also takes exercise, whether its cardio or strength training into consideration. It will allow you to input the food information manually, scan it using the barcodes or search from its database. You can even keep up with goals using this app and its free. If you can discipline yourself to use it regularly its definitely worth the time.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Every year this thread comes up... this year I'm jumping on. I usually start my conditioning on a pretty serious level come June or July. But I'm going to change it up. December is my recoup month. January I'll get to 3 days a week. Build from there...

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Is this not the problem that never goes away. It is just so hard to eat right and exercise but you have to find the time to do it. None of us got fat and shape overnight so don't expect to lose it all overnight either. It takes time and hard work. I use a phone app called "my fitness pal". I can input everything I eat and it calculates the calories. It also takes exercise, whether its cardio or strength training into consideration. It will allow you to input the food information manually, scan it using the barcodes or search from its database. You can even keep up with goals using this app and its free. If you can discipline yourself to use it regularly its definitely worth the time.
I use that App. When I use it it works! Hard to find the time but it's worth it.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Keep at it, your persistence will pay off. The holidays are a tough time to try to loose weight or to keep it off. Good luck to you.