Tent Recommendations

BKHunter

Aug 27, 2015
New York
Hello All,

Looking for a two person pack tent. Something that I can carry into the back country and set up a spike camp. Ideally would have a vestibule in order to keep gear out of the elements. Any recommendations and reasoning why is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BK

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Welcome BK. there are a ton of threads on this. Do a quick search and you will be over-whelmed with ideas. :)
I like the BA tents. Lights and durable. Watch REI for a sale on Labor Day.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
haha, Scott, you sure love those floorless shelters don't ya? I knew you were gonna say something about a floorless. they are handy.

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
I picked up a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Mtnglo a couple days ago, I think it is going to fit the bill well compared to my old set up.

BKHunter

Aug 27, 2015
New York
What is your budget? Do you have to have a floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry if I sound naive or ignorant here, but are you talking about a floor price? I expect to spend between $300-$400. Can I get a decent long lasting product for this price point?

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
floorless shelter, and yes you can find a good tent in that price range. I like northface,. Scotts saying, I'm assuming, that floorless shelters are cheaper, easier to pack and easy to set up. what time of season do you plan on going?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
floorless shelter, and yes you can find a good tent in that price range. I like northface,. Scotts saying, I'm assuming, that floorless shelters are cheaper, easier to pack and easy to set up. what time of season do you plan on going?
Bingo, 300-400 can get you a very good tent. Probably even a top notch brand if you went the used route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BKHunter

Aug 27, 2015
New York
Thank you everyone for your input. I plan on using it mainly during the hunting season. I don't plan on being out there deep into december but possibly the beginning. Most likely late August-November.

BK

BKHunter

Aug 27, 2015
New York
Is the BA Copper tent warm? Looking at the pictures on REI it looks like a mesh wall system. Seems like it would let a lot of wind and cold in? Sorry for all the questions fairly new to all of this and trying not to make a purchase I will regret down the line.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
It won't let as much air/wind as you think. It will breath though and won't get the condensation build up that will cause it to "snow" on you. The non breathable tents get condensation frost on the inside and will get you wet and cold in the am.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I have the CS 2 and love it. Look at the copper spur 1 also. One vestibule instead of 2. The CS1 still has a wide tapered floor compared to other 1 man tents. Look at the Tarptent rainbow. look at six moons designs. If you are a trekking pole user and/or floorless, the options really open up. Many of the trek pole tents can be hung from trees also. This frees up your poles to be in your pack when it's time to pack heavy back to camp.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
JJ have enjoyed my Copper Spur great tent. I really like the two vestibules and you can access both!!
I picked up a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Mtnglo a couple days ago, I think it is going to fit the bill well compared to my old set up.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
JJ I will be in SW Montana on the Sept 11th sometime not sure when.We will be there till the 25th or so. If for some reason we tag out early like last year I have a Mule deer tag in Region three I am going to try and fill. Even though I have the 621 Elk archery tag this year I made the decision to hit SW Montana first as it has always been good to me. I am going to hold the 621 tag as a backup just in case. Just don't think I want to fight the crowds in 621.

Did you ever get your Goat?

Mark I am sure I will like having it this year. When are you planning on doing up north?