Elk Decoys

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
My brother in AZ drew a unit 1 archery bull elk tag. This will be our first time bowhunting for elk so he wants to get a decoy since we know the elk will be up close and personal.
I'm curious to see what you guys think of those decoys.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I use a Montana decoy. They work usually. One time I set one out in the open and started calling to a bull half way down a canyon. I called him up and as he crested the hill he saw the decoy and ran out of there like his ass was on fire. At the time I was mad but looking back it was funny. I find if you can use some foliage or something as a backdrop and do not place them right in the open they work well.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Pete,
I archery hunt every year and have had great success with the Montana decoys. I modified them to not use the sticks and hang them from a tree branch for quick and easy deployment. My technique is to use the butts. Thats right just the tan colored butts. Ive drug bulls pre rut long distances with the butt end of these things sticking out of a bush and cow calling. Later in the season you just need to make sure others (muzzleloaders) know your using them. Throw any questions you got at me.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Slugs, thanks for the info, the area I hunt has limitless to no cover. So what In God We Trust said made a lot of sense. We have other area that has some trees so it'll be easier to use there. Thanks again.

okielite

Banned
Jul 30, 2014
NW Nebraska
Yep seen those before. I feel think that is just asking to get shot at. Bow, muzzy or rifle, you won't catch me wearing a hat that looks like game lol. Call me crazy, but I don't especially trust everyone in the woods
I agree. Lawsuit/accident waiting to happen. Interesting concept that might work though if you were willing to risk it.