NM sheep guide reccs?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
On the wild chance I drew an OIL sheep tag, I'd hire an outfitter, so I might as well get in the pool.

Fees vary pretty dramatically and it seems like guys are either desert guys or rocky guys from what I've looked at.

Who are some names to research?

I was talking to one of arguably the top guides in the state, but his contract states he retains the rights to all photos and video taken on the hunt and there is no way I'm paying someone $10k and giving up the rights to my pictures and video!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I'm thinking NM outfitters are gonna hate the guide draw allocation for sheep unless they can profit on it. Can you imagine helping 100 to 200 guys put in their application for the chance at guiding one hunter?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I'm thinking NM outfitters are gonna hate the guide draw allocation for sheep unless they can profit on it. Can you imagine helping 100 to 200 guys put in their application for the chance at guiding one hunter?
It was 500 total apps last year for all hunts. Residents can get in the outfitter pool also.

It's actually not a huge deal for them, you email them, they send you a contract, you sign and scan and send back, then you are papered up. If an outfitter has trouble doing that, I'm not sure I want them managing the logistics of my sheep hunt.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
It was 500 total apps last year for all hunts. Residents can get in the outfitter pool also.

It's actually not a huge deal for them, you email them, they send you a contract, you sign and scan and send back, then you are papered up. If an outfitter has trouble doing that, I'm not sure I want them managing the logistics of my sheep hunt.
I agree with Umpqua. I definitely wouldn't want to deal with 100 or 200 guys and trying to keep everything in order. I'd rather have an outfitter focused on scouting and hunting, not trying to keep records straight for 100's of guys. Plus they don't even have that great of odds of having a hunter being drawn.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I agree with Umpqua. I definitely wouldn't want to deal with 100 or 200 guys and trying to keep everything in order. I'd rather have an outfitter focused on scouting and hunting, not trying to keep records straight for 100's of guys. Plus they don't even have that great of odds of having a hunter being drawn.
I'm not sure why its that big a deal. Client sends an email, outfitters send paperwork, client fills it out and send it back, outfitter drops it in a folder, done. Its the same for every outfitted hunt in NM that goes into the draw. You are supposed to have signed paperwork before you apply.

It's only work when someone gets drawn, but if you can't send and recieve emails for inquirys about your service you might not be very good at running your own busines....