Zone D-17, Deer

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Anyone hunt D-17, I'm planning on trophy hunting this zone next year. I have not hunted this zone before, but from what I hear and seen, it seems to be the best trophy area closes to my home. I'm going out next week to look for drops. I'm getting burned out from shooting the scrubs in Zone D-14 every year and ready for a change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any pictures of some bucks taken from the area, Id sure like to see them.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I have never hunted D-17 but I heard it has some good bucks if you can find them, Will you be hunting the "NewYork" mountains torawds state line? I've hunted D-12 near Blythe and there's some trophy quality there as well. And I know what you mean about the scrubs in D-14, I haven't popped a deer there for a couple of years now, I've seen some small bucks but decided to pass,they were mainly forkys. But from what I learned adout D-14 is if you see any buck, even a forky that's pretty good. Haha, gotta love southern cali huh? How many years have you been putting in for D-17? They only issue 500 tags for that huge zone and only 57 of that got filled, From the "2010 deer harvest records". Good luck on the draw!

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I've measured bucks from both zones (D-17 & D-12). Best one I've personally measured from D-17 was a mid-160's net buck. Good looking deer for SoCal. In my opinion, D-12 has better quality.......best I've measured from there was pushing 200"........with a handfull of mid 180" type bucks. However, finding them is very tough.....especially since Feinstein designated most of the zone wilderness and restricted travel.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I never put in for D-17, just thinking about hunting it for the first time. I believe now would be the best time to scout, since it gets so hot in the summer time. I'll check out D12 as well, maybe I'll get lucky and find some drops. Now come to think of it I saw a couple monster non-typical bucks in Herman's Taxidermy shop last year, which I believe where shot the year before with a bow in D-12!!.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I never put in for D-17, just thinking about hunting it for the first time. I believe now would be the best time to scout, since it gets so hot in the summer time. I'll check out D12 as well, maybe I'll get lucky and find some drops. Now come to think of it I saw a couple monster non-typical bucks in Herman's Taxidermy shop last year, which I believe where shot the year before with a bow in D-12!!.
I've been in good old Herman's a few times myself. He has some nice stuff come through there from time to time. Good luck on finding some drops, that is a huge zone, be sure to post pic's if you do. And your rite about the heat, When I hunted D-12 it was rifle season in november and the temps were still in the upper 80's. If you do end up going to D-12, I would recommend 4x4 or a quad.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I've been in good old Herman's a few times myself. He has some nice stuff come through there from time to time. Good luck on finding some drops, that is a huge zone, be sure to post pic's if you do. And your rite about the heat, When I hunted D-12 it was rifle season in november and the temps were still in the upper 80's. If you do end up going to D-12, I would recommend 4x4 or a quad.
K, thanks for the heads up, always looking for a good place to hunt off my quad...

yucaipa mike

Dec 2, 2011
I hunted d17 last season ao/rife there are big buck but it’s a hard hunt saw a lot of does and only few forkies. You can buy an ao tag over the counter. It took 2 points for d17. This season I will buy the ao tag for D17

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a good friend who hunts the Mojave a lot and has taken some really big bucks. He hunts hard and does a lot of scouting. Pretty close to the vest about the exact locations, but I don't blame him as he did the work.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
I realize this thread is a bit old but I'm researching the ao option and am a bit confused do you have to apply for a tag and then your qualified to buy an ao tag or can you simply buy an o.t.c tag?

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I realize this thread is a bit old but I'm researching the ao option and am a bit confused do you have to apply for a tag and then your qualified to buy an ao tag or can you simply buy an o.t.c tag?
I have never bought an a.o. tag but i'm pretty sure you can buy them o.t.c..