Zone B-2 Blacktail

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
B2-2015-001a.jpgB2 Antlers-2015.jpg Struck out on my 2015 California Mule Deer Tag for X-10 , but managed to connect with this California Blacktail on my second tag. One shot at 67 yards with an Encore 30/06 using Winchester Power Max factory ammunition. Downhill quartering shot entered the ribcage, took out the heart and lungs, and lodged in the front of the off shoulder. Secondary missiles from rib bones took out the liver. This deer weighed 140 pounds, and should have topped 160 pounds. High temperatures, drought conditions, failure of the acorn and Manzanita crops have made it a tough year for Blacktails in the Golden State. This was the 14th one shot kill in a row with this pistol, and needless to say, it has become a favorite hunting companion.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
great buck during a bad season in that area.
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Due to the heat and the drought, the fires hit B-2 pretty hard. The smell of smoke was still in the air, and you could see smoke wisps in the morning fog. If that area has a tough winter, I am afraid they will have a significant winter kill due to the weakened condition of the deer herd. Even if the deer survive the weather, they will have a tough time outrunning the coyotes, bears, and mountain lions. It would not surprise me if there is a significant cut in B zone tags next year.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
congrats saw fish, nice buck and awesome handgun!
Glad you are back. Now we can get some D-14 information (Bears?)! Did you do any good in Colorado?

The pistol started life as a stock T/C Encore Pro-Hunter chambered in 30/06. The trigger was tuned by Jim Schott of Schott's gunsmithing. I picked up a second hand Georgia Jim forest green camo laminate grip and forend, and modified the grip to fit my hand. It turned out to be sort of a modified Bisley shape, but fits me good. The stainless fluted 15” barrel has been Magnaported, and is topped with a Burris 2 x 7 Ballistic Plex scope, secured to a Warne 6 screw base by four Warne Maxima rings. This pistol will repeatedly cluster three shots at 100 yds. with a variety of handloads and factory loads. Longest kill was a California Mule Deer at 327 yards. This was its fifteenth one shot kill. Needless to say, this has become my favorite pistol, but its 25/06 sibling is begging for attention!

Last edited:

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
congrats, I shot a average 4x4 in Colorado. I missed a giant though, saw lots of animals. I haven't seen a bear yet this season. I'm getting ready for my G6 hunt in cali, so hopefully I'll have some great photos to post.