Zone 89 in Wyoming

iowashedhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
Not looking for any freebies everyone but Im just wondering what the chance of scoring on a decent muley in this zone would be? We are going to build points another year then try to draw in this area maybe.Is it hard to get away from the crowd and are there alot of 2 tracks running through it? I would love to think that I could hike in somewhere maybe and get away from people but I also know there is no wilderness in this area so that might just be impossible.Just looking for anyone else's experience's in that area. Also been eyeing 90 just to the west of it but Im not sure how much harder it would be to draw a tag there,If I remember right it is quite a bit tougher.

david peay

Mar 2, 2011
that is the same area i put in for 89. i havent found anybody that knows anything about this area, but i will find out i hope. I have 4 points plus this year so i hope to draw. It sounds like a good area from what i read in EASTMANS HUNTING JOURNAL. good luck

iowashedhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
Well I guess silence from everyone means either it is very good or very bad, IDK but with 4 points you should get drawn Dave. Good luck to you and drop me a line if ya would and let me know how it go's for you.

Last edited:

Mike

Eastmans' Staff
Feb 21, 2011
If it were up to me, I would rather hunt Unit 90. Its got less tags, and I personally last year saw a 190+ mule deer while antelope hunting down there. It does have some rugged country that you can only walk in. That's my two bits.

ffd061

Feb 21, 2011
Glyndon, Minnesota
Iowa..we wont be any competition for you in the draw, as we are building points again after getting the 90 tag. Should be able to draw with 4 points reg, 3 points spec. Good luck.

ADavid

Mar 11, 2011
Casper, WY
Area 89 is a good area you have the sage flats and also the rattlesnake mountains alot of public land plus there are three huge ranches that allow hunting through game and fish. i have hunted antelope around there and have seen alot of big mule deer bucks drawing a tag is hard. you wont have problems with people there are only 200 deer tags allowed and it a huge area.

iowashedhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
Thank you all for the iformation, How many points do you think it would take to draw 89? I think I should look at 90 also but I am just wanting to hunt soon.....

ffd061

Feb 21, 2011
Glyndon, Minnesota
Iowa-the 2010 draw odds were 100% with 4 points regular, 3 points special.

90 was a fun hunt. Saw a couple of 160 class bucks during our summer scouting trip, but didnt find any real bigguns during the season. It snowed several inches prior to season, and alot the the deer moved to lower elevations. Saw alot of bucks, just not anything real big.
Ended up taking this 150 class 3 point. He is the biggest muley I have taken so far and am happy with him, but know there are alot bigger deer in the unit.

The draw odds in 90 for 2010 were 40% regular, 50% special, with max points. Tough draw

iowashedhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
Great looking buck bud and thank you for the info. Im going to take a really long look at 90 before I decide on what Im going to do.I like what Mike said about there being some wilderness area in it.I really want to be able to walk away from the 2 tracks if possible for a more remote type hunt and Im not sure that I could find that in 89 unless I hunted a private walk in area.