Zero Points Deer Hunt

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Broken ankle is finally getting well enough to maybe hunt mule deer again. I don't have to do research or any of the things normal hunters have to do. I have no points. I will try to draw a ML in the unit I vacation in. I can walk from my cabin into limited population of trophy mule deer. Its about one mile straight up but every year there is a trophy within a mile of the cabin. It looks like I might have a chance to draw a ML in Colorado unit 81. Also thinking of NM since it is only about three miles to NM unit 52. I don't have much of a muzzle loader but it has taken several WT. I will have to research sights (no scope in Co.) or just go visit CC. I do have archery gear. I just cant see me taking a trophy mule deer on my steep hunting area with archery.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Good morning Gorman,

Glad your ankle is getting better and you can get after them again. I shoot a T/C ProHunter and changed from the factory sights to a SeeAll Sight (seeallopensight.com) that I really like. It is legal in Colorado. Check out their website. For me it sure helps the problem of focusing on three things at the same time, rear sight, front sight & target. PM me if you have questions.

I am seriously considering 81 for a 4th season elk hunt. Thanks again for your help on the antelope hunt, I had a blast.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You will find that in most of the units in Colorado that even residents need at least 1 point to draw a ML tag and non residents might need 2 or more. I haven't looked at the odds report lately so you might want to check that out before you put in for a hunt.

Other than that I think that I would put in for the hunt here in Colorado and hope and then concentrate on the New Mexico tag.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Unit 52 nm has a restricted ml hunt for deer. The two deer hunts are the last two weeks of October. Decent draw odds for nm. The odds are pretty good on the primitive hunt I think