Your favorite custom- semi custom hunting rifle?

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
7 MM Rem Mag
M700 Stainless action, receiver and bolt trued / blueprinted
Krieger Stainless barrel #6 contourIMG_0325.jpgIMG_0326.jpgIMG_0327.jpg
Tubbs oversized recoil lug
Krieger did the action work and installed the barrel and recoil lug
Cerakote on barreled action (Tactical Grey) done by Red Creek Tactical
Leupold Scope VX-3 4.5-14 X 50mm Long Range with M1 elevation dial
Leupold MK IV Long Range Base, Leupold MK IV Rings (Medium Height)
H.S. Precision Stock (Sendero style with no palm swell)
Devcon glass bedded (I did this)

Total weight is about 12.5 pounds, so its not a light weight rig.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
264 win mag by Flint Hills Gun Works
custom thumbhole walnut stock
McGowan #3 fluted barrel
Winchester M70 classic action
Vortex Viper 4-16 with matched turret (Leupold 4.5-14 Varmint Hunter in pic, later switched)
Talley rings/bases
Stoney point rapid pivot bipod attachment
10.5lbs loaded and ready to hunt
140gr Berger at 2950fps, or 140gr accubond at 3000fps. Not hot loads, but they shoot great and put game down. I have a lot of faith in this rifle and shoot it really well, it has been my interior decorator putting mounts in my home.

Attachments

Last edited:

BennerEfird

Feb 23, 2014
twitter.com
If you guy have never heard of Jarrett rifles you should check out his website. My buddy Kenny Jarrett runs the place and is a super nice guy. I have done a lot of taxidermy work for him and we've traded on some rifles and they are hands down best I've ever shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
264 win mag by Flint Hills Gun Works
custom thumbhole walnut stock
McGowan #3 fluted barrel
Winchester M70 classic action
Vortex Viper 4-16 with matched turret (Leupold 4.5-14 Varmint Hunter in pic, later switched)
Talley rings/bases
Stoney point rapid pivot bipod attachment
10.5lbs loaded and ready to hunt
140gr Berger at 2950fps, or 140gr accubond at 3000fps. Not hot loads, but they shoot great and put game down. I have a lot of faith in this rifle and shoot it really well, it has been my interior decorator putting mounts in my home.
Very nice rifle. I have a question for you about the stock. Many years ago (in the late 60's) I built a custom rifle, a 25-06 at that time still a wildcat. I did a lot of stockwork and made a thumbhole a lot like yours. I really had a problem with it and finally took the stock off and replaced it with a standard style stock. I never could get used to the mechanics necessary to operate the safety with my thumb. Out of the stock thumbhole, off safe and then back in the hole to shoot. It seemed very awkward for me. How does it work for you in hunting situations, not just on the bench target shooting?

I eventually used the thumbhole stock on a varmint .220 Ackley I built for prairie dogs as the walnut on it was AAA figured, so it didn't go to waste.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Fully Blue Printed REM 700 Short Action
260 Ackley Improved
130 gr Accubonds @ 2950fps
Shilen Select Match #4 1-9 twist 6 groove cut @ 25"
Timney Trigger
B&C Alaskan II Custom Shop Paint
Leupold Mark 4 Target 4.5x14-40mm Mildot

Fully Blue Printed REM 700 Long Action
300 RUM
200 gr Accubonds @ 2975fps
Kreiger #5 1-10 twist 4 groove cut @ 27"
Timney Trigger
HS Precision BDL Granite Grey
Leupold Mark 4 6.5x20-50mm Mildot

Fully Blue Printed Kimber 84m Action
260 Ackley Improved
140 gr Ballistic Tips @ 2850fps
Lilja Factory Contour 1-8 twist 3 groove cut @ 25"
Tuned Factory Trigger
Factory Stock thats been Re-bedded and Pillars added.
Now wears a Leupold Custom Shop VX3 4.5x14-40mm Custom Crosshair.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
My dream rifle build I hope to start soon.

.280 Remington
Purchase a new(er) Winchester Model 70 with the controlled round feed in a .270 Winchester. Pull that barrel off and sell it.
Have a custom 24" match grade barrel with the same contour as the factory barrel chambered in .280 Remington.Have the action trued squared up and the new barrel installed.
Replace the new factory trigger with the old style Mauser trigger set to break at 3#.
Not sure on the stock yet. I really like the Classic Sporter stock of the Model 70. If I replace this stock it will be with a nutmeg laminate Boyds stock. Either stock will be pillar and glass bedded with the barrel floating. If I can afford it I might get one of these in a nutmeg laminate. Pretty cool they are able to put an aluminum bedding block in them so you have the best of both worlds.
http://www.accurateinnovations.com/Products.html
Scope: I'm a fixed power guy but I might finally break with tradition and get a variable for the first time ever on one of my own rifles!!
Leupold 6x42mm with a custom built reticle set for my load with a 140 gr. Nosler Accubond or Partition. Depends on which one the rifle shoots the best. Maybe a 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle or a custom reticle.
OR
Zeiss Conquest HD 3-15x42mm with the Z600 reticle.

That's my dream gun and I hope to start it hear pretty soon.

MT dreaming

Aug 14, 2013
I agree with BennerEfird. Jarrett Rifles in Jackson SC are great rifles. Once you shoot one its hard to shoot anything else. I bought a 7MM STW from him several years ago. I am thinking about buying a .300 Win or .300 Jarrett. I haven't told the wife though!!

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
A few years back, I picked up a Paul Jaeger custom .308 Norma Magnum. It is built on an Oberndorf Mauser action, and is engraved and stocked in what appears to be French walnut. The neat thing is that it has a Kahles 2 x 7 scope in German claw mounts. Probably not as accurate as some of today's long range hunters, but a fine example of a hunter's rifle.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
A few years back, I picked up a Paul Jaeger custom .308 Norma Magnum. It is built on an Oberndorf Mauser action, and is engraved and stocked in what appears to be French walnut. The neat thing is that it has a Kahles 2 x 7 scope in German claw mounts. Probably not as accurate as some of today's long range hunters, but a fine example of a hunter's rifle.
Picture please..............

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I put the deposit on a SMR Paladin in 300 win mag. It's been a hard decision but it's finally made. Thanks for all the posts.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I believe you will be extremely happy with that decision. I'm a .27 caliber guy just because that's what I started with. The .30 caliber comes with WAY more options for ammo/bullets and is just as accurate if not more so than my little ole .27 magnum lol. Im a big fan of the 300 win mag and will probably own one someday.

Will they test it for you to determine the best load combo? Or will you do that yourself? What barrel contour did you choose?

Congrats!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
They gave me three options of ammo the guns like for me to try out and pick the best one for the gun. Benchmark 5R match grade barrel.

Thanks. I've always had 7mm and love it deeply. Going to the .30 is somthing I've never considered but my hunting partner has always used the 300 so I'm going to the dark side! Hahahha

It comes with muzzle break not shown in pics and a airplane approved gun case. Does not come with tri pod.

Last edited:

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
Here is a little different take. I built this rifle to be a featherweight. Built by Northwest Actionworks. Trued Rem 700 SA (with some excess metal removed), Shilen Select Match #2 profile 22" 1in8, chambered in .260 REM, Cerakoted (bolt Microslicked), Timney trigger, PTG lug. I mounted a Leup 3-9x33 Ultralight with CDS on Talley Lightweights. Now I am waiting on the McMillian Hunter Edge stock (ADL, blind mag) to arrive. If McMillian's estimation is correct this rifle is going to come in right around 6.5 lbs loaded, ready to hunt.

NWAW 260 4.jpg

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
That's a sharp looking piece IKIC, MNHs too for that matter. Two totally different builds. Yours is going to be a little heavy IK, but good god it should reach out there and touch something haha. MNH, that's one light rifle you've built, and a great caliber as well. I like it!!

I would try to stay with a 168 gr bullet if it were me. Great BC and plenty of choices. I've killed a lot of animals with a Nos partition, though they aren't the most accurate bullet ever made, they are constructed well.

I can't get over the looks of the SMR.....super nice. And their prices are outstanding.

My .270wsm loves Nos Accubonds in 140 grain and the Hornady SST in 140 as well.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk