Yellowstone in October

Kalalau

May 2, 2017
Hawaii
I'm planning a trip to Wyoming hunting pronghorn antelope in unit 22 in late October. We are thinking of spending a couple of days in Yellowstone since we haven't been there. We are thinking of driving from Billings Montana and visit the park a couple of days before we hunt. Are there any recommendations from forum members as far as accommodations. routes or travel tips? Thanks for all your advise with this.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Check and see when the park closes. They do close down sometime in the fall every year.

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
The last week before closing is always the best time up there. You aren't stuck behind tour buses full of Asians and traffic jams for every squirrel somebody spots next to the road. You'll enjoy late fall up there.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Even in October accommodations for sleeping are going to be tough to come by if you plan on staying in a hotel/motel room.

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Check out campgrounds just outside of the entrances. Inside the park may be busy but I bet you can reserve a small cabin or room outside the park. That's what we ended up doing, but we are also going in 2 weeks when it is going to be very busy so I hear.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Lodging in Jackson is affordable if you ask the right places for their hunters rate. Jackson would be as fun town to stay in and drive up into the park. Lots of wildlife visible along the National Elk Refuge.
Cody would be another choice. Neat town on the east side of the park.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Lodging in Jackson is affordable if you ask the right places for their hunters rate. Jackson would be as fun town to stay in and drive up into the park. Lots of wildlife visible along the National Elk Refuge.
yeah, agree with the above. From Billings you might look into taking the Beartooth HWY to Cooke City. Maybe not a road for a rented rv or something, but its pretty scenic. It is a pretty good time of year to go.

Kalalau

May 2, 2017
Hawaii
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm hoping we get good weather so we can use the Beartooth highway. Already looking forward to this trip.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I came through Yellowstone last week of October about ten years ago and bear tooth was closed. We had to take chief Joseph hyway from the NE entrance to Cody. Agree with everyone that late fall is the best time to visit Yellowstone

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
depending on the Oct I would plan on beartooth being closed, washburn being closed, craig pass being closed. and depending on how you were going from YNP to unit 22 the bighorns could be closed, so check road conditions http://www.wyoroad.info/511/511Announcement.html

But even still it's easy to get around and it will be a great time to see the park and surrounding areas! congrats on your hunt and enjoy the state

Kalalau

May 2, 2017
Hawaii
depending on the Oct I would plan on beartooth being closed, washburn being closed, craig pass being closed. and depending on how you were going from YNP to unit 22 the bighorns could be closed, so check road conditions http://www.wyoroad.info/511/511Announcement.html

But even still it's easy to get around and it will be a great time to see the park and surrounding areas! congrats on your hunt and enjoy the state
I was thinking about driving from Billings, staying a night in Livingston, then either Cooke City or Gardiner the second night. We planned to spend our last night in Cody on our way out of the park before heading to Buffalo for our hunt.

Last edited:

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Just got back from the park. Beartooth and some of the other roads are closed for the year. Might want to call first.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I shouldve asked for a hunter discount when I was there. $200 for the cheap hotel didnt sound too good to me. Yellowstone is a pretty amazing place though. I came in through the south entrance and drove the park and left through the east entrance and hit Cody. Had elk bugling in my face while i was there. First time ive ever heard that in person. Cant wait to hear that again.

Kalalau

May 2, 2017
Hawaii
Yellowstone was awesome!!!! We saw everything except Bears and Wolves. We were lucky to get out of Yellowstone when we did. The east entrance closed later that evening. Stayed in the Big Bear Motel in Cody. Accommodations were good except the A/C in room 43 wasn't caulked when installed and the strong winds that night blew right through that space. Towels and duct tape fixed the problem. We ate at Irma and all the Halloween decorations were up. Visited the Museum of the West early the next morning. We needed to leave by 11:00 pm to be in Buffalo by 3:00pm. We needed to sight in a rifle there. We saw what we could in the Museums and arrived in Buffalo by 3:15 pm. After a box of shells the rifle was sighted in. The winds blew 40-50 MPH while hunting the next 2 days but the hunting was still spectacular. It reminded me of hunting Muflon Sheep back home. Lots of glassing and stalking! First day 2 Pronghorn Antelope were harvested. Day 2 was great with 3 pronghorn antelope harvested and all remaining tags filled. I want to thank all who helped by responding to my post and that helped make our trip so memorable. IMG_1122.jpgIMG_1163.jpgIMG955215.jpg

Last edited: