Wyoming Upland Trek

Okay guys and gals, My son (age 9) and I want to do a Wyoming trek for upland birds this fall. We want to have a good time seeing the state and get some trigger time on anything that flies and is legal. We will be starting from the Northeast corner and looking for any suggestions as to what areas and species might be worth planning on. Especially interested on working public land, but if an area is worth knocking on doors and making phone calls we will do it. We don't have a dog but are willing to burn some shoe leather to make things happen. It would be great to meet up with like minded folks and even better if we could get the exposure of hunting behind some dogs. Looking forward to seeing what some of you have to say as we are anxious to get deeper into our planning process.
Thanks in advance,
Justin aka Bearlodge

Yes, we plan to utilize walk in areas and have created a list of areas to try. However, I was hoping to get a little more response even by now. Just hoping to get some better intel for areas and different species. Especially looking for info on Chukars and dusky grouse. I realize now that I should have been more specific in my original post.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
LOL I've got news for you. You'll probably get some tips from a few if you're patient, but most hunters prize self-research. One of the top 5 complaints among hunters is over-crowding, and you're about to add to it. You're asking for help in competing with the very people you're requesting that help from. Complaining about the lack of response isn't going to help your case.

Duskies tend to be found higher, and unlike other birds they go "up" when it gets colder. Look for patches of field/timber transitions. I usually find them along logging roads around mid-afternoon when they're down to feed. They can give you a hell of a scare if you flush them but normally don't actually move all that fast so lately I've switched from a shotgun to a 22 so I'm not fishing around for BBs. I took two last year that way and I'll never go back.

Reactions: Bearlodge10
LOL I've got news for you. You'll probably get some tips from a few if you're patient, but most hunters prize self-research. One of the top 5 complaints among hunters is over-crowding, and you're about to add to it. You're asking for help in competing with the very people you're requesting that help from. Complaining about the lack of response isn't going to help your case.

Duskies tend to be found higher, and unlike other birds they go "up" when it gets colder. Look for patches of field/timber transitions. I usually find them along logging roads around mid-afternoon when they're down to feed. They can give you a hell of a scare if you flush them but normally don't actually move all that fast so lately I've switched from a shotgun to a 22 so I'm not fishing around for BBs. I took two last year that way and I'll never go back.
TaskSwap, I thank you for your response and appreciate the feedback. I never meant to complain, just a statement to the point of thinking there would have been more folks forth coming with hints. The small tidbit of info on duskies is really the kind of stuff I am hoping for. I should have realized that my post was just another variant of " I have tag ____ and now need info..."

Reactions: taskswap