WYOMING Unit 82 Deer

TN VOL

Jan 1, 2018
Anyone have any experience with Unit 82 deer in Wyoming? Looks to have good success rate...would anyone recommend taking a family hunt in this unit with my 16 & 18 year old sons? Not trophy hunting..looking for just a good western experience hunt..want to camp as well. I’ve been studying units for 2 years now. My fear with this unit is lots of pressure/people due to it being general tag. Anyone info would be appreciated. Thanks!

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Lots of deer and LOTS of people. It depends on the experience you want. There are not a ton of places to get away from people. It was pretty easy for us to find deer when there but much harder to find a mature deer.

TN VOL

Jan 1, 2018
Thanks for the reply..I went on a hunt in Montana for elk in a general unit and there was rigs at every access point/parking area/trail head..and lots of them. It wasn’t a good experience bc of all the people plus had trouble finding elk. I guess if the deer are easy to find..it could be a pretty good experience/hunt.

Reactions: mcseal2

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Yep, it's a very popular area for locals and nonresidents. Camping is good, but the locals will go up in August and leave there trailers until after elk season. They're not suppose to but the Forest Service doesn't really enforce it very well. Are there deer yes, but not like it used to be back in the 80's & 90's.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I guess it's all what kind of experience you want. I wouldn't go into an 82 hunt thinking it will be a quality experience. 82 is loaded with hunters on public land....and it's pretty tough to get away from them because of all the roads. It could be pretty frustrating! Take a look at the harvest reports to get a feel for hunter success and pressure. I briefly looked at the harvest reports and there were approximately 2,800 deer hunters in 82 in 2018.

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
If you want to shoot a deer from your truck while watching tons of other people do the same, it’s the unit for you. There are big deer and there are places to get away from people but they are few and far between. Easy meat hunt in easy terrain. If that is what you are looking for, go for it. If you decide to go shoot me a pm