Wyoming Unit #81

1shot7mm

Dec 26, 2013
Hi, folks. I am new to the forum and looking for any info on Wy unit #81. Living in Iowa makes for a long scouting trip. Any info would be helpful. Currently looking at the area around Tripod Peak, but not locked into that area.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Unit 81 is a General Unit elk tag, so it's not known for big bulls and will probably have quite a few hunters in it as compared to a LE unit. How many PPs do you have?

1shot7mm

Dec 26, 2013
Unit 81 is a General Unit elk tag, so it's not known for big bulls and will probably have quite a few hunters in it as compared to a LE unit. How many PPs do you have?
Thanks for the reply, topgun. Have no PP and just looking for a average bull. Hope to stay away from the crowds

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
With no PPs you will have to be very lucky to draw a General Tag in the Regular random draw. Last year it was only about a 20% chance and this year it may be worse with magazines touting that tag as a good way to hunt elk without building a bunch of PPs.

1shot7mm

Dec 26, 2013
Yeah, I know, but its worth a shot! Trying to draw moose tag is tough,too. Its hard to keep up with the point creep! Do you have any idea how much hunting pressure there is around the Tripod peak area? Maybe I will get lucky with the moose draw and be able to scout unit 81 when I return home.