Wyoming Unit 73

Rob Sev

Dec 12, 2020
m wife and I have been hunting Unit 73 for ten years. This year is the first that neither one of us drew a buck tag. My wife did draw 2 doe tags,so yesterday we decided to make a quick trip and get her 2 does. We got to the north end of the unit about 8 AM, travelled all the way to the south side and lots of trails along the way. On a normal year we would see 200 to 400 antelope. On one hill I like to park and glass and a couple of years ago I coun 200 antelope. Yesterday - a big fat zero. We saw a total - 5 does and 10 bucks. I wish GFP would shut down antelope season until they recover.

Reactions: Hilltop

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have been hunting a unit next to 73 for 25 years. The last few years we have noticed a big decrease in the number of antelope we see, especially does. The last 2 or 3 years, they have not issued any does tags. Been really dry and with hard winters, the antelope numbers have really taken a hit.

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
According to the biologist in area 73 they are getting the numbers to where they want them. I noticed the last couple of years the numbers are down. They did cut down on type 6 tags but I think they should not issue any at all for a long while.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

manitou1

Mar 21, 2017
United States
How in the world do you guys draw 73 every year?
Takes 4 points in the special this year and about a one in three chance for a resident.

Ghostrider6

Feb 3, 2014
Missouri
I have been hunting a unit next to 73 for 25 years. The last few years we have noticed a big decrease in the number of antelope we see, especially does. The last 2 or 3 years, they have not issued any does tags. Been really dry and with hard winters, the antelope numbers have really taken a hit.
I just got back from hunting area 32. I stayed in Casper and spoke to some folks who hunted 73. They all said the same thing. Very few antelope this year.

Rob Sev

Dec 12, 2020
How in the world do you guys draw 73 every year?
Takes 4 points in the special this year and about a one in three chance for a resident.
My wife and I put in separate. That makes chances for one of us to draw better. It was much easier a couple years ago. Seems word got out that this was a good unit So lots more people are applying. This used to be a blue chip unit. Now I feel they should close the season and let the population build back up.

Reactions: manitou1

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My wife and I put in separate. That makes chances for one of us to draw better. It was much easier a couple years ago. Seems word got out that this was a good unit So lots more people are applying. This used to be a blue chip unit. Now I feel they should close the season and let the population build back up.
No need to close the season, just limit the tags. Antelope repopulate pretty quick as long as the habitat conditions are good.