Wyoming Unit 100-6 Cow Hunt

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
I and my party of three drew Unit 100-6 Cow tag. I have never hunt elk before, nor have I ever hunted Wyoming. I figured this would be a great learning experience for us when we do draw a bull tag. I have Onx and plan on staying in Rawlins during our trip. Anyone have good info for the tag we got. Not looking for your honey holes, just good general info about the unit and limited area we get to hunt.. We just want to have a great time hunting, and enjoy our stay. Hoping we tag out as well.

We are all super excited about this hunt and decided to apply for Antelope / Mule deer doe tags for add bonus hunts in unit 82 and 52

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
I wouldn’t call the area you get to hunt limited - it’s a pretty decent sized subunit. The terrain is wide open - it’s a different hunt than you’re going to have with any bull hunt you’re likely to draw. Good luck, welcome, and let us know how you do.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Ditto on staying closer to the unit. Be sure that you have a good plan for meat management, as the weather during the type 6 hunt (Oct. 15-Dec. 1) can be just about anything. If you come across a cow, there will likely be a number of them and it's easy to have 3 on the ground at the same time. Even if you are alone when you shoot, do NOT shoot again unless you can clearly see the wounded cow separate from the herd. Cows and their calves will typically run a ways and bunch up. In your scenario, I can see this turning into a turkey shoot, especially if there are 3 of you together with a bunch of elk in front of you.
Remember, that "party hunting" is illegal in WY, and you must tag your own animal.

Last edited:
Reactions: trailrider121

nylogger

Mar 19, 2011
Have hunted the region for antelope and elk. We always stayed in Rock Springs. The only issue you might have is rain turning the roads to crap. Fortunately they heal fast. You will have fun.

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. We plan to hotel it for the hunt because of weather we might get. I originally was thinking Rock Springs, but Rawlins might be better. We also applied for mule doe tag in 82, and antelope doe tags in 52. This way I will more central as those units are south of Rawlins. The unit 100-6 tag looks it limits us to east side of unit. RS is closer but if we get some extra tags in units listed, Rawlins is optimal. Either way we are super excited and really appreciate the help and post. Thanks guys....

Unit 100-6 tag limitations per Wyoming tag info posted.

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
Unsuccessful in all doe tags ( Deer, and antelope) . I even applied for deer buck, I knew it was a long shot.

I was surprised at how many applied in Wyoming this year. The 2020 report showed 30-40% increase applications and 20-30% less tags in the units I applied for. I thought for sure we would have drawn a antelope doe tag. Oh well, next year. The year has been crazy and wild for all of us and grateful for the Cow Elk tag I have. Its been 10 years since my last out of state trip and finally got some time off for hunting.

Anyways thank you everyone for the kind help and pointers, greatly appreciated. Can't wait for October Cow ELk hunt!!