Wyoming Pronghorn Areas

Has anyone ever hunted in Areas 77,78,80 or 83?

Im looking for a good trophy potential area with a good amount of public land. How are the numbers in these areas?

I would kinda like to stick to this area since we plan on moving close to this area (more time to scout).

Ill be applying as a non-resident "special" draw, so the odds are decent.

Thanks for all the help.

bullbuster

Feb 21, 2011
Soldotna, AK
I'm hoping to hit 78 with 2 points this year (reg draw) Can't help you with any specifics, because it'll be my first time there. I've Google Earth'd every inch of 78 and 83 and both have a bunch of walk-in and public land. Both 80 and 83 should draw with no points (spec), but 80 has no walk-in properties. These areas aren't known for Booners, but then again, the tag numbers are low. Will you still hunt SD as a non-res, and/or is there any chance to draw (NR) there?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Area 80 is a good area for some really nice bucks. I have seen a few booner type bucks out there in past years. Area 83 could be a real sleeper Codes. A lot of the antelope in the area died about ten years ago, but they are now finally coming back and the area is on a real upswing. I have seen quite a few bucks out there in the 80+ range over the past few summers. With limited tags and plenty of public land to hunt this area could be a good choice. It has produced many, B&C entries in the past during it's hayday back in the 90s. Most of the Boone and Crockett entries (6) for Hot Springs County and a few of the entries from Washakie County (23) have come from this area. The genes are still there. Just a thought. Good luck in the draw fellas'.

wyoming_man

Mar 1, 2011
Cowboy Country!!
Another possible unit is 114. I measured a goat for a guy 2 years ago that green scored 87. It was taken just east of Worland, maybe 3-4 miles outside of town. I have hunted 77 pretty heavily for deer, but don't remember seeing many big goats.